New annoyingly confusing vibration/grinding noise.

Started by zaqs_dad, July 26, 2015, 11:23:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaqs_dad

As the title states, I have a new noise!!! Yippie.

It's coming from the front. I get it during the end of braking (sometimes) and slow braking while also turning to the right. 

There is no noise while doing the same actions while in park - rules out power steering.

My front trackbar has a little give at the axle, but that's likely due to needing a larger bolt - bushing seems fine.

I tightened my y-pipe to the manifold which solved a vibration problem,  I think I know why it was loose(Hall chrysler when they replaced 2 seals perhaps?).

I had u joints replaced just a month ago (duralast gold). I'm hoping they can last longer than a month :/

Any ideas?

Ken

Ken

2014 Copper Head Jeep JK Willys Wheeler with 3 inch lift, Front E-locker, Rear Limited Slip.
Warn Wench and Bumpers. 315 tires.

StingRay66

What he said ^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KE8AIB
Russ

No God ....................No Peace

Know God ................Know Peace

alan6271

I'm thinking same thing.  Without hearing I'm leaning towards pads/rotor(s).
Does anyone else smell that?  Smells like burnt hot dogs and transmission fluid!

zaqs_dad

And i have a full week. Don't have time to take for this....ugh

zaqs_dad

Well I lifted my front and tried to shake my tires around. Neither side would budge.  That makes me pretty happy. If I have time tomorrow I'll take the wheels off and take a closer look at the rotors and calipers.

Thanks guys

Rook

Lift one tire off the ground and with the wheels turned all the way to one side free spin the tire... I've heard U-joints made this kind of noise.

zaqs_dad

Quote from: Rook on July 30, 2015, 10:34:29 AM
Lift one tire off the ground and with the wheels turned all the way to one side free spin the tire... I've heard U-joints made this kind of noise.
Thanks Rook, I'll do that if I have time tomorrow.  Maybe this weekend.

Rook

Probably goes without saying, but you'll have to repeat for both sides.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

zaqs_dad

Quote from: Rook on July 30, 2015, 03:03:22 PM
Probably goes without saying, but you'll have to repeat for both sides.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Both hubs and u joints sound and feel okay.  Tightened track bar and exhaust to the manifold. Replaced broken zerks and regreased. I have a crack in the manifold though, so I'm looking at options, possibly getting headers with long tube.  Also found my skid plate is loose at the gas tank; Ed and I cranked on that sucker when he, mark and I replaced my front driveshaft and added a Trans cooler. Guess I'll have to wait for an extra hand for that.