2010 Fall Color Tour

Started by Paul Hittie, October 17, 2010, 08:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hittie

The fall color tour yesterday contained more adventure and less color than we planned.  The colors were a bit past their peak this weekend as we covered almost exclusively 2wd roads and trails.  Our attempt to stay legal in the National Forest result in some nice color, 1 tesspass, and no requirement for 4wd.  It appears that anything fun was excluded from the Motor Vehicle Use Map.  But we had a nice day in the woods, so not a total washout.  We ended the day at Silver Lake, where I had several reminders that a 4dr JK is significantly longer than my LJ and has a much lower breakover angle.  One stuck was a simple hill that after watching Ed snap over I thought I should get out of the gas a bit at the top.  The second one was a repeat, except failing light, park closing and nothing but ATVs around...on the last crest of Test Hill.  Beautiful view, just not normally a spot to hang out and take pictures.  When we finally found a willing helper with tow hooks (who plays in the sand without tow hooks??) we went looking for Ed and Julie at 7:29 to make sure they weren't still waiting for us, when we saw and heard somone calling for help over by the "forest".  Turned out to be Ed and Julie!  Ed was a long way down a loose hill, but he had his stick to connect our straps, and we inched him out just as darkness fell and the park closed.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

NewRide

Sounds like fun !!! Please give more detail of said trespass ??
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

Paul Hittie

Looking for a USFS road, we found a private road about 100-150yrds away that I thought was the right one.  It cut between some camps/homesteads, but eventually a guy flagged me down to let me know the road was a dead end, and did I know this was private property?  He was nice about it, we were apologetic - no blood/no foul.  Actually the USFS road markers we saw were all in pretty good shape, I don't remember that being the case the last time I went out there.  Unfortunately all of the trails I recognized in the Crystal Valley area were bermed off.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance