Cj5 tub

Started by ricochet1987, March 15, 2017, 10:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricochet1987

Im going to look into buying a new steel tub, are the tubs that quadratec and 4wd.com good tubs or should i go with a replitub from willys overland in toledo

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

J.E.E.P= Just Each and Every Paycheck!!!

Paul Hittie

No experience with any of them, sorry

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

ricochet1987

No worries, i talked to the president and owner of willys overland and hes a ver nice guy, and what they do they take the quadratec tubs and put them on rigs so they will bolt on in under an hr n no cutting or anything, just not liking the 4 grand price tag and those steel tubs r hard as hell to find

OzzysCJ

I have 78 CJ5  that I completely rebuilt 17 years ago.  I bought an comolete omix  ada steel tub from 4wd hardware and had no issues with it until about 3 years ago.  I'm finding that the primer that came on it is separating from the metal. So when I get rock rash, the paint is flaking off in that general area.  I haven't called or spoken to anyone about it yet but might one of these days. Not sure if I got a bad run or if there were other problems with that I should have had the whole tub stripped when I had it painted instead of just light sanding and wipe down.  I had brought it to MAACO after I had fully assembled it, punched all my holes in it, took it all back apart and had it painted off the frame in pieces.  Other than that, it's held up very well.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

ricochet1987

Ok great and how much cutting drilling or welding was there?  When i get this tub im most likely going to be por15 the tub to protect it. How much did maaco charge to paint it? My concern is the tub wont directly bolt up n there will be alot of fab work.

ricochet1987

OzzysCJ

No cutting.  A little file work.  Some drilling on the firewall and a little alignment of the holes where the front fenders line up.  Otherwise mostly fit well.  I don't recall exactly what MAACO cost but I recall they were thrilled to have it in loose pieces and off the frame (no masking).  It must have been around $500 at the time.  Por15 is best directly applied on metal.  My tub came primed.  Also you have to topcoat por15, it is not UV stable.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

OzzysCJ

I never even looked at fiberglass, wasn't interested. Wanted steel.

ricochet1987

Ok thank you for the information! My buddy has used por 15 when he helped his parents restore thier model a so ill be having him help me with that but thanks for all the information!

OzzysCJ

Por15 is great product when you follow the directions for prep and topcoating.  It works best if you have a slight bit of corrosion in place if I recall correctly.

ricochet1987

Right my frame is in decent shape just a bit of surface rust

welderman85

I did my frame with it a few years ago and it has held up great. I did three coats of por15 and three coats of Rust-Oleum.

ricochet1987

Por 15 is some good stuff i hear, can u remember how much it took to do yr frame?

welderman85

I bought a gallon and had a quart or two left. I brushed it on. Worked good

ricochet1987

Ok cool thanks that is what ill be doing to the frame around easter if its warm enuff, i got it down to the frame just gotta remove engine so i can do the whole frame lol