Electrical issues - Ford F150

Started by Paul Hittie, September 08, 2015, 10:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hittie

Anybody speak Ford electrical?  Jonathon's new '99 F150 has no right brake/blinker.  Tail light works.  No juice at the light socket, no juice at the trailer harness (factory trailer wiring harness) and no juice at the big plug Inside the frame.  The F150 forum said the multi function switch was probably to blame, but that didn't work either.  Everything else works fine including the left side.  The master of jury rigging in me says we need to find the wire coming out of the multi switch and tap it, run a new wire to the back.  Not sure if that kind of work-around would screw up the feedback loop, not sure if I care.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Sent from my A1-830 using Tapatalk

When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

gogolen

Did you check where the wires T under the spare in the rear for the trailer lights?  Sometimes that connector gets pretty crusty.

Paul Hittie

Yes - we have no brake light juice above or below where the trailer light harness ties in.

alan6271

The same bulb that runs the brake runs the blinker?  when you hit the brake pedal does anything weird happen with the front right bulb? 
Does anyone else smell that?  Smells like burnt hot dogs and transmission fluid!

Paul Hittie

Did not check the front...I don't remember seeing anything unusual - I remember seeing the front bulb on hyperblink when we turned on the turn signal, but was not looking at the front when we tested the brake lights after installing the new Multi-Function swirtch

StingRay66

Did some googling and there was a lot of discussion about bad pins in the plug under the dash where the multi switch plugs in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KE8AIB
Russ

No God ....................No Peace

Know God ................Know Peace

Paul Hittie

When we pulled everything out, there was a loose wire hanging out of one of the connectors.  We snapped it back in place before attaching the new multifunction switch.  Jonathon and I were arguing under the glow of a trouble light at 11pm, we could not decide if the loose wire we found was O/LTBL or O/G - O/LTBL would be our turn signal.  That is where we intend to pick up the next time I get home before 10pm...ain't going to be this week tho'.

alan6271

So the reason I asked is because my jeep has a bad switch in it (It's a TJ so it's a "lucky if it functions" switch.  Anyway if I press the brake pedal the front blinker comes on solid.  I then have to wiggle the blinker switch to make it go off and function correctly.  If the front isn't blinking or if it's staying on when you push the brake pedal my guess is it's the MF switch.  Just my very novice two cents.
Does anyone else smell that?  Smells like burnt hot dogs and transmission fluid!

Paul Hittie

Update - finally got to take my Labor Day holiday.  Found an F150 forum, apparently the multifunction switch is a frequent problem.  That didn't work either.  Found the right turn/brake light wire was loose, but checked with the multi meter and no power there either.  So made my first post on the F150 forum, hopefully will not need a flame resistant suit.  I have not been a newbie in a long time!

Sent from my A1-830 using Tapatalk