Rook - 05 LJ Rubi - Eaton Rapids, MI

Started by Rook, June 23, 2015, 12:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rook

Hello fellow Jeepers! I am a Michigan native that only recently returned home to Michigan after 15 years in Joplin, Missouri. In that time, I've owned 4 Jeeps including 1 ZJ and 3 TJ's (a 99, an 03 Rubi, and currently an 05 LJ Rubi). my real name is Erick R., but most friends call me Rook.

While in the south, I became a part of a very close family also known as the Brush Beater Jeep Club. I served as an officer in that club for 11 years and also ran and continue to run the website. Sadly, 700 miles distance between me and the club left me without a Jeep family close enough to wheel with regularly, so I stepped down as an officer, although I will always be a lifelong member of that family.

While living in Joplin, MO, on May 22, 2011, an EF5 tornado ripped through my town leaving my wife and kids mostly unharmed while I was installing a long-arm kit on my Rubi 10 miles away. Our home and nearly all our possessions were lost, but we consider ourselves blessed as we were uninjured and well insured. We built a brand new home on our property and moved in 4 months later.

A string of incidents in our lives brought us to Michigan not long after. Life is finally starting to settle down and I started looking for a local Jeep family. What I have found is a lot of either mostly defunked clubs, or ones largely populated by the kind of people that tend to give the Jeep community a bad reputation.

I think a clubs reputation is everything and needs to be closely guarded. Membership should only be requested or offered once it becomes clear that a prospective member is not only a good fit for the club, but the club is a good fit for a prospective member. Maybe I'm a bit too critical in this regard, but I don't join a club for the "stickers".

A few weeks ago, I posted an introduction on a couple Michigan Jeep Facebook Groups and asked about local clubs. I liked what people had to say about WLBJC. A few weeks after that while going through the Michigan DNR ORV Safety Instructor Academy, I met Paul Hiddie. We talked a lot about the Jeep community and WLBJC. I like that your club supports UFWDA and GLFWDA while adhering to Tread Lightly principles. I'm looking forward to getting to know more of you in time. I'll be celebrating my wedding anniversary on July 12, so I'll miss that meeting, but I'll try meet more of the club soon and often.

Until then, happy and safe Jeepin'!

LPM606

Hi! Nice to "meet" you Rook.   Thanks for checking us out and glad to know you are hearing good things about us.  This club was originally formed by a group of families that experienced the same thing you described -  went "shopping" for a club to join, but did not like what they were finding for a "family Friendly" environment to wheel with their kids. So, they formed their own club and here we are almost 10 years later! 

I actually drove by Joplin about a month or so after that tornado and was stunned to still see that there was a major mobilization with flashing signs on  the highways directing relief workers where to go and such... Incredible that your family was right in the middle of it and survived. 

We agree with your thoughts about club membership.  We require a prospective member to attend at least 3 meetings and/or events with the club before being considered for membership - Gives us all a chance to get to know each other a bit and ensure it is a good fit before anyone plunks down membership dues.  Membership is only granted through a vote by our members at a monthly meeting.   While I don't know that we have ever said "No" the folks that aren't the right fit generally recognize that we are not their cup of tea (or vice versa) after hanging out with us a couple times and don't make it to a vote.

We have our 4WD awareness training class this Saturday at R&V's, but it sounds like that would be remedial for you, so our next official event on the calendar is Silver Lake Sand Dunes in July.  On any given Thursday night,you might spot a couple of our orange shirts floating around Scooters on Torrey Rd in Flint (Though I don't think you mentioned where in Michigan you are, so I'm not sure if that is close or not) Edit-I see now it is in the title of your post-May be a bit far to just drop by a Jeep Night thing! 

We have a couple LJ's in the club, but I don't know that I have ever seen an LJ Rubi up close and personal like... look forward checking yours out.   

bullhed78

LJ's rule  8) I met Paul and Ed at a public forum about a proposed off road park. The fact that our club had knowledge of the sport and was trying to advance and promote our sport in a responsible way impressed me. The rest is history. I look forward to meeting you, sounds like you would be a good fit.

Paul Hittie

Glad to see you stopped in for a virtual chat.  We have more than just meetings, just about every month we have some kind of get together, if not wheeling then wrenching or a social get together.

I assume you passed your test and are now a certified ORV safety instructor?
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

TechJeeper

Welcome!  I lived in Lansing until last year, moved to Perry and I still work in Diamondale - The club is well worth the travel :D

Rook

Thanks for the welcomes! Paul, yes I  passed. I'm actually teaching a marine class this week... Having fun. The kids are laughing at my jokes and staying engaged, so that's good.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

alan6271

Hey welcome.  I really hope we get to meet you.  I joined this club because of Paul too.  If you're looking for someone to do your taxes locally next year, he's your man.  For years and years I had to listen to him talk about Jeep this and Jeep that every year when I did my taxes.  Well I bought a TJ to keep up where our boat is just to drive around about 9 months ago.  Fast forward to now, the Jeep looks nothing like it did and the boat is for sale.  You'll love this club.  The members here are fantastic (except when they tease me about my fear of snakes.  Then I don't like them.)

Anyway, look forward to meeting you.

Alan
Does anyone else smell that?  Smells like burnt hot dogs and transmission fluid!

Rook

Quote from: alan6271 on June 24, 2015, 10:09:03 PM
...The members here are fantastic (except when they tease me about my fear of snakes.  Then I don't like them.)

Alan

You're afraid of snakes! Not even my little girls are afraid of snakes! Naw.. just kidding. I'm not a fan either, but I don't climb on the hood of my Jeep either. Seriously, teasing is what family does, so long as they don't toss you into a pit of vipers or something it's all good.  :P

Anyone in the club live in the Lansing area?

alan6271

Does anyone else smell that?  Smells like burnt hot dogs and transmission fluid!

J's Jeep

Hey Rook,

Nice to see your post and interest in our club.  My name is Jim and we joined the club for all of the reasons that you have mentioned.  We have really enjoyed all of our many outings and camaraderie.  My wife(Jane) and I live in Laingsburg and I work in downtown Lansing.  Let me know if you want to ride along sometime to a meeting. 

Jeep on!!!

bullhed78

Quote from: Rook on June 25, 2015, 11:34:06 AM
Quote from: alan6271 on June 24, 2015, 10:09:03 PM
...The members here are fantastic (except when they tease me about my fear of snakes.  Then I don't like them.)

Alan

You're afraid of snakes! Not even my little girls are afraid of snakes! Naw.. just kidding. I'm not a fan either, but I don't climb on the hood of my Jeep either. Seriously, teasing is what family does, so long as they don't toss you into a pit of vipers or something it's all good.  :P

Bwahahaha... If Paul won't sponsor you for membership I will just based on this post. LMAO

alan6271

Rook

Oh geez... Now you guys have me considering a trip to Flint on my wedding anniversary just to meet you. I'm not thinking that will go over well.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

LPM606

Take her outlet shopping at birch run and swing in for a romantic little ceasar's pizza dinner with the club after? What wife wouldn't be blown away?  Ok, well... maybe not...

Seriously,  Not  a big deal if you don't make the July meeting... We will be doing Silver Lake Sand Dunes the weekend of July 18-19 if you are interested in hooking up with us there, and we have a meeting and two events in August, plenty of chances to hook up with us.  PM me if you would like more details.

Rook

Quote from: LPM606 on June 26, 2015, 09:08:22 AM
Take her outlet shopping at birch run and swing in for a romantic little ceasar's pizza dinner with the club after? What wife wouldn't be blown away? ...

I like the way you think!  8)