Will a 2.5 from a 96 fit a 99 TJ?

Started by bjcaines, November 10, 2008, 07:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjcaines

Hey all!

Gotta question for you...

Will a 2.5 from a 96 Wrangler directly replace the 2.5 I have in my 99 TJ?  The numbers on the block just below the distributor are 309XHX27.

I'm wondering if this deal is too good to be true.

Any help would be awesome!

-Betty Jo :mrgreen:

TechJeeper

Yes, it should bolt directly in.

edit:  you might have to use your distributor, in my swap the connectors were different.  Also, if you find a 4.0L Throttle Body, it gives the squirrels a little more breathing room.

Nosilla

Just as he said it will work. Might have to swap some sensors. But should work just fine.

bjcaines

Thanks guys - I think I'll jump at the chance to buy it for $300, only 30K miles too!  Maybe I will get to play in the snow this year!!!

Nosilla

good luck.

bjcaines

Well...the motor wasn't what I'm looking for.  For 30K miles you wouldn't think it'd be so dang oily!  I think this guy got duped when he bought it.  Looks like the whole top end would need to be swapped and there were some other differences, he didn't know what it was from just that he bought it for his 95 a year ago - the guy even said that if he were going to put it in his jeep that he'd rebuild it, again 30K is like brand spankin new!

Hopefully, I'll get to see that one "dbikers" tipped me off to this weekend  :D - wish me luck!

Thanks again to all of you, you've been so very awesome!