Yellowjackets

Started by longarm, September 04, 2007, 08:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longarm

Has anyone in here had any experiance in succussfully dealing with a ground nest full of pissed off yellowjackets?  I stumbled upon a nest yesterday while mowing the back yard.  I was lucky and didn't get stung.  If one was watching, it would have looked like I left flames behind as they went after me because I ran so damn fast.  
  Anyway, I tried something this morning and we shall see if it works.  I went out at about 6am today to deal with them.  I put on heavy pants, my carhart jacket, a skimask and leather gloves.  I grabbed my flashlight and the hose.  I snuck up and jammed the hoze nozzle in the nest opening in the ground and ran like hell.  We turned the hose on and let it run for ohhh, just over 30 minutes.  I left the hose in place.  I'm gonna dump some dilutable liqued wasp killer in the hose and wash it through if their's still activity when I get home.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I do not wish for my enemies to be brought to justice, I instead would like to see justice brought to my enemies..."

TechJeeper

Quote from: "longarm"I put on heavy pants, my carhart jacket, a skimask and leather gloves.  I grabbed my flashlight and the hose.

I am sorry but you should of got a pic of that or something, when I read it i started to LMFAO!

GOT ROCKS

If the problem continues you will need to get wasp spray and saturate the ground around the nest and the nest itself.  This will kill the wasp on contact.  This should foam up as well.

Once you see no actvity you need to go turn the ground with a shovel as the nest is about a foot or so deep.  Keep the spray handy because when you turn the nest you will find the rest of them.

My daughter walked over one of these in our back yard, and she was wearing a dress.  She was stung so many times I was livid and went the extreme to get rid of them.  Thus the method above.

Hope this helps.

Anthony
RHINO ZJ:
//http://www.rhinozj.com
I <3 my Bacon Pockets!

jeepfan1974

pour a little gas on it   se if it works   if not light it that will kill them all   :twisted:
Let\'s go wheeling!

longarm

Quote from: "jeepfan1974"pour a little gas on it   se if it works   if not light it that will kill them all   :twisted:

No can do.  The hole is about a foot away from my wood shed.  I'm gonna hit it again with the hose when I get home.  I'll drown those bastards if I can.
"I do not wish for my enemies to be brought to justice, I instead would like to see justice brought to my enemies..."

jeepfan1974

well dont light it then my dad used to use gas for ground nests all the time it always worked the lighting it part is just the pyro in me sneaking out :mrgreen:
fire kicks ass!!
Let\'s go wheeling!

GOT ROCKS

Drowning them will not be effective if you want to get rid of them.  They will just rebuild.

But to each his own.  Good luck.  This is only a temporary fix in most cases.

Anthony
RHINO ZJ:
I <3 my Bacon Pockets!

longarm

Hmmmm, Well, the hose is still in place.  Maybe I'll pour some of that liqued stuff called Sevin (Wasp & Yellowjacket killer) through the hose, then hook the hose back up and turn it on and let if run for a few.  Then pull the hose out and blast em with that foam dialectic stuff in a can.  I don't one of my kids getting stung.

GOT ROCKS

Home Depot has some of that WASP killer that foams up and shoots for 20' if needed.  That is what I used.  And when it say it kills on contact it isn't lying.  The best stuff I haver found.

The foam you are wanting to use, does it disapate after a while or does it stay foamy like insulation foam?

Either way good luck bro'

Anthony
RHINO ZJ:
I <3 my Bacon Pockets!

longarm

As it would seem, Mitch:1    Yellow jackets:0  

I want out and jamed the hose in the entrance to the nest.  Water alone did not work.  When I came home from work, I poured liqued Sevin in the hose and ran water to wash it into the nest.  Then I pulled out the hose and sprayed the entrance with the foam wasp/yellowjacket killer.  I havn't seen one of them little bastards since.

jeepfan1974

good glad that worked mitch
Let\'s go wheeling!

GOT ROCKS

I know some people think  that I think I know it all but I don't know everything.

What I do know is that foaming wasp spray is some kick a$$ stuff and will do the trick everytime.

I am glad that it worked for you Mitch.  Now you and your family can play safely in your own back yard.  Way to take oyur yard back.    :D

As I have found out they will not return to rebuild either.  So keep your eyes out for where they might migrate to.

You may also want to turn the ground to make sure the nest is dead too.  If they were there long there will be a nice honeycomb in the ground.  Pretty neat to show the kids but it is also better to be safe than sorry.

Anthony
RHINO ZJ:
I <3 my Bacon Pockets!

longarm

Absolutly, I plan on turning the ground.  I wanted a couple of days to pass with me hitting it each day with a little spray of the foam just to be sure nothing flies out at me.  I have a few mole holes in the yard and am actively looking around.  I'll feel better knowing that my kids can play safely.

clyder

LongArm, go chemical and go big.  A fair amount of gasoline and a match.  Then, so they don't have any thoughts of rebuilding, some used motor oil.  I currently have the same problem at Silver Lake, btwn the shed and garage.

longarm

I can't do fire as it's about a foot away from my wooden shed.  That would be bad.