Jeep TJ Front Wheel Bearings

Started by alan6271, June 21, 2017, 02:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan6271

I am told both of my front wheel bearings need to be replaced.  I was curious if anyone has done this and how much there is to it.  I can get Timken bearings from Amazon for $75 each, looks like its all a sealed unit to me.

Anyone think I would have a problem doing it myself in my garage?
Does anyone else smell that?  Smells like burnt hot dogs and transmission fluid!

welderman85

No worries there easy. The hardest part is if the old hub assembly is rusted into the knuckle.Then it's kind of a fight but other than that it's a easy job.

Paul Hittie

So easy an accountant can do it.  But a simple job that can be a real &/¥×*=&/*£/ if they have not been removed or replaced recently, breakimg the rust loose the first time can be a real nut buster.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

alan6271

Thank you guys.  That's sort of what I was afraid of.  The shop wants $450 including parts to do both sides.  I can buy the hubs 75 each but I assume it's expensive because of rust.  I am going to do some research and see if I think I can get it apart due to rust.  Thanks
Does anyone else smell that?  Smells like burnt hot dogs and transmission fluid!

welderman85

Pb blaster helps a cheap of pry bars and bigger flat head screwdriver to hit and pry with. Then when you install the new ones​ use neverseize on it so it comes apart better in the future.

Yellow TJ

Stu's Offroad has a good write up under unit bearings.

Ken

Bring it over. I have done it and I have a torch.  The old one WILL come out.  You can get them cheaper at a place line Autozone, but they are not Timken.
Ken

2014 Copper Head Jeep JK Willys Wheeler with 3 inch lift, Front E-locker, Rear Limited Slip.
Warn Wench and Bumpers. 315 tires.

Paul Hittie

Quote from: Ken on June 21, 2017, 08:45:05 PM
Bring it over. I have done it and I have a torch.  The old one WILL come out.  You can get them cheaper at a place line Autozone, but they are not Timken.
Ditto, don't pay someone when we could have a good old fashioned cursing festival.  Buy beer and hide the children!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

StingRay66

The first time I did mine I used the socket-extension- power steering method and they came out easy

Leave the bolts in part way then put the socket you used to loosen with and ratchet extension between the bolt and the frame , then start the engine and turn the wheel to apply pressure on the bolt with the socket/extension it should pop out with ease.

there is a youtube video showing this method.
Russ

No God ....................No Peace

Know God ................Know Peace

alan6271

Ken

I am serious, I have done several on different vehicles.  We can get it done in 2 or 3 hours.  We could do it tomorrow, Sat or set a time.
Ken

2014 Copper Head Jeep JK Willys Wheeler with 3 inch lift, Front E-locker, Rear Limited Slip.
Warn Wench and Bumpers. 315 tires.