Two Trackers Forrest Clean-up

Started by LPM606, February 14, 2010, 09:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LPM606

I believe Paul H. mentioned it at the last meeting, but just to get it "on the record" I wanted to post up that the Two Trackers are holding their annual Trail Clean-up in the Manistee National Forest (Muskegon & Oceana Counties) on Saturday April 17th.  This is not ORV trail maintenance but rather an actual litter pick-up event.  Apparently all kinds of illegal dumping takes places in the forest area and literally thousands of pounds of trash are hauled out every year at this event.  Here is a link to their web page:

http://www.twotrackers.org/events/

The following Day (Sunday April 18th) Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association is holding their Spring Quarterly meeting out in the same area in Hart, MI.  This is right near Silver Lake Sand Dunes so I would imagine that we could get some wheeling in on the dunes at very least Sunday afternoon for a few hours before driving home.  (Paul may have some better input on this as he has been to this in the past) I know there is camping nearby (though that might be a bit chilly still in April) and the Comfort in where the meeting is being held has some nice rates for the event.  

Julie and I are going to be heading up for this weekend, though we may not be able to make it until lunch time on Saturday due to other scheduling issues.  Is anyone else interested in making this trip?

Paul Hittie

We make the trip every year - at registration they divide everyone up into 6-10 big groups, each group centered around one or more significant dump sites and a corresponding collection site.  We have hauled tires, steel belts from tires, household and office rubbish, shingles, all sorts of good stuff over the years.  The last couple of years we have had most of the dumpsters filled by early afternoon on Saturday allowing for some play time at the dunes or some serious early-season bluegill fishing down at Stoney Lake.  The dunes close early that time of year (6pm if I recall), but if you can manage the chilly nights the state park is almost empty, we get a lakeside site every spring.  Early spring wheeling at the dunes is much different than in the summer - almost no traffic, higher winds and more rain makes the dunes firmer but creates some wicked drop-offs, so a different experience from our regular June visit.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

ricochet1987

well keep me posted i think i may like to go ..and i could bring my dads wooden trailer if we need something for the trash
J.E.E.P= Just Each and Every Paycheck!!!