April 2014 - KY Wheeling Take 2

Started by LPM606, February 11, 2014, 08:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LPM606

In Late April we are heading back to Black Mountain adventure area in Harlan County, KY for a second year in a row.  This 7,000 acre park was just amazing last year and we definitely had lots more to explore after two days of wheeling!  This will be a drive down Thursday, Wheel Fri-Sat, Drive home Sunday trip.  If you are interested in making the trip to this awesome park and getting a taste of some mountain wheeling, come to our meetings in March and April for more details.   

LPM606

Just Made my campsite reservation here:

http://www.harlancountycampground.com/Harlan-County-Campgrounds-Tent-Rental.php

Put in the comments that I was with others from What Lies Beyond Jeep club and we'd like to be together if possible...

LPM606

Upgraded to splitting a cabin with Jim & Scott - no tenting out this time!  Spots for 2 more if anyone is interested in it!

J's Jeep

Two words about our Kentucky trip last weekend...HOLY #$%*!
Very intense...had a great time.
I told the group at the bonfire one night that I was going home and selling the Jeep. 
They said  what???  I told them that we were just Michiganian Flatlander Posers! 
Kentucky was the real deal!
I realized that I hadn't wheeled until I experienced the Black Mountain Adventure Area.
What an experience...as Scott put it...the weekend ruined me.
As usual the pictures don't do the outing and area justice.  It doesn't show the steep slopes, the long dropoffs along the trail or the true size of the rocks.
I have many GoPro videos that will take some time to edit and compile but I have condensed down all of my pictures to an album called "Harlan County KY 2014" on Shutterfly.com
This is the link: https://wlbclub.shutterfly.com
If you don't have access to this site yet, please email me at jim_woodend@Hotmail.com to get permission.
Enjoy! :)

LPM606

Sooo true about pics not doing it justice... for example, we stopped and took the pics of the three rigs with the hill behind us because that was the scariest hill descent I ever did - once at the bottom looking back up at it, it looked so steep and vertical I don't think I would have tried going down had I known.  So we got some pics to commemorate "conquering" this extreme hill only to have the pics show what appears to be three rigs with a small, slightly sloped hill behind us...