It finally has begun

Started by Paul Hittie, June 18, 2017, 08:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hittie

Just when you thought it wouldn't happen again this year, the baby steps to making "14' of Orange" a little more durable has begun.  3 out of 4 front links off without too much trouble, one stubborn axle-end lca bolt frozen in the sleeve.  We hosed it down one last time with PB Blaster hoping it will cooperate tomorrow otherwise Mr Sawzall will make his first appearance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

Paul Hittie

OK #4 required a trip to Harbor Freight for a bigger angle grinder and some cut off discs.  But #4 done!

Now the tough part, help me with the math.  Fixed lower control arms +1" longer than stock.  2.5-3" taller front springs than stock.  How long should my adjustable uppers be for optimum driving pleasure?  Can you all see why I switched from engineering to liberal arts early in my failed higher educational experience?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

StingRay66

Russ

No God ....................No Peace

Know God ................Know Peace

Ken

I would start with 1" longer, then take it somewhere for an alinement.
Ken

2014 Copper Head Jeep JK Willys Wheeler with 3 inch lift, Front E-locker, Rear Limited Slip.
Warn Wench and Bumpers. 315 tires.

Yellow TJ

I think Dale has told me our Jeeps like 6-7 degrees caster, keep an eye on your driveshaft angle. An alignment shop probably won't mess with castor or more than stock settings.

Yellow TJ

This forum is pretty good, check out how to guide, has a good write up on alignment, I have the bars if you need them.

Paul Hittie

Quote from: StingRay66 on June 22, 2017, 07:39:51 AM
See if this helps????

You just balanced my checkbook for me, thanks!!

Paul Hittie

Got the front upper and lower control arms mounted and the front end aligned.  Also had to replace my front shocks, I broke the shaft on one of the hand me downs I received from Ryan.  Worked on the rears, got everything apart without too much fuss but could not get the rear uppers installed.  Pulled everything apart and tried again, but it looks like one of the new to me uppers needs the threads chased deep in the guts of the control arm.  They have a lot of adjustability, 0-6" but I can't get one of them to shorten up enough.  If I adjust both to the long side my pinion looks too high (no sye).  So I fianlly reinstalled the stock rear uppers - some driveline vibes but not driving to MN this year.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Jeeply

what are you up to after reinstalling the stock rear uppers?

Paul Hittie

Dropped it at Ironman Offroad on my way home from MN and let a professional tune the rear suspension and add some Bilstein shocks to complete the ensemble.  Still have a minor vibration, but might be my well abused driveshaft too

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk