So I got into an accident today...

Started by astrogiblet, December 05, 2007, 02:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astrogiblet

The guy in front of me, in a Pontiac Sunfire braked hard to turn into the Honda dealership in Grand Blanc, and I braked hard, locked up all four wheels and slid into him.

The left side of his rear bumper is caved in, his left side rear taillight shattered and theres a big dent next to it. The right side of my front bumper is bent in a lot, and my fender is bent in slightly...

The guy seemed like he was a little mad at first, then he lightened up real quickly. I apologized profusely, and he said "Its ok, all that matters is no one got hurt". He was in his mid 20's probably.

The police came, the cop was really nice, took a report, and told me "Theres no sense pouring salt in the wound so I'm not going to write you a ticket, but I do have to claim someone is more responsible then the other, so I'm probably going to write you were driving too fast for conditions or something like that".

But yea.. I've never been in an accident.. It was weird.. I think I'm still kinda in shock over it.. But now I need a new front bumper.

It seems that, because my Jeep is so light, everytime I brake hard I just slide. I'm thinking about getting some kind of weight to put in my Jeep so it'll brake a little better. I love how light my Jeep is, but it just sucks whenever its wet, snowy, or icy. Anybody have any suggestions? I was thinking getting a big block of steel or something...

-Brandon

TechJeeper

Whoa man, glad your alright!  You just gotta remember that your jeep isnt your dads huge truck, keep a distance, especialy in this weather, I learned that after my fender bender last year.  With wet roads and snow, any vehical is gonna slide.

Again, glad to hear your alright, sorry to hear about your Jeep.  Bumpers can be replaced.

Nosilla

Glad your ok. I agree with everything Cody said. How bad is your damage? Fixable?

gh0stslay3r

Glad your ok. Sorry to hear about your jeep.  :(
2000 jeep wrangler TJ
Two tracker
Cheap Thrills

ouchman

Quote from: "gh0stslay3r"Glad your ok. Sorry to hear about your jeep.  :(

x2 :(
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

COF radio http:// 216.59.4.130:8014/listen.pls  http://xat.com/chat/room/85630064/

NewRide

Sweet !! Your bumper is toast !! Now for some nice home brew ones  ::woot::  Glad your ok !! But now you can modify !!!
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

jeepfan1974

glad your ok            insurance????   if you have full coverage the might just cut you a check and you can fix it yourself   that could work out sweet!!
Let\'s go wheeling!

jeepfan1974

neil you forgot the bent fender  ::woot::
Let\'s go wheeling!

Paul Hittie

Glad you are OK, but unless you are adding an anchor you can throw out to help you stop better adding weight to your Jeep won't help you in a panic stop.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

astrogiblet

Damage on my Jeep is no big deal. I have full coverage, but with a thousand dollar deductible I'm not even going to make a claim.

I'm going to bend the fender back out (like I did when it bent in at the Mounds), and I'm gonna have to build/get/buy a new fender. I have a stock one sitting around I *might* put on for now.

Someone at work made the suggestion that I get sand bags, which I'm going to do tomorrow.. a couple 50 pound sand bags behind my front seats and I'd be good to go, I think. As Paul said, they won't help in panic stops, but they will help with everything else.. I've been sliding around a LOT.

-Brandon

ouchman

the only time iv'e been sliding, is when its on purpose ::ouch::
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

COF radio http:// 216.59.4.130:8014/listen.pls  http://xat.com/chat/room/85630064/

JEEPSALESGUY

Good news is you're ok, and that sheet metal can be fixed!
05 tj 4" procomp lift, 33" mickeys & not enough time to wheel it!

Anonymous

you mean there will be another wrench fest posted some time this winter??? :)

Glad to hear you are okay.  I hate winter driving.  Even in that big catastrophy I drive I still hate it.  When it's icy there isn't much you can do, regardless of the set up you have.  You just hope for the best and do the ole "steer in the direction of the skid" move.

naypalm

Glad ur okay man! I agree fully with Cody, bumpers can be replaced. Maybe you can now have Neil make you a real bad@$$ bumper!

longarm

Glad to hear your ok.  Vehicles and parts can be replaced, people can't.  I have a solution for ya.  Buy my LINE-X'd flares from me and I'll give ya my fender for free.  Not only that, I'll donate the other fender to Paul and Neil to hang onto just in case another club member needs one.  Ya never know when it might come in handy.  I have not four but 5 flares.  You won't need the new one thats still in the plastic.  The LINE-X fixed the old one.  So you could sell it on e-bay or craigs list.  These flares are STRONG.  I can't go to flat fenders until I sell my flares.  Ask around, their worth the money.  If you want em let me know, I'll take em off the LJ and re-UV coat them, not that it really needs it, but I'll get it done and we can mount em on your Jeep.  As soon as my flat fenders are done being built, I'll give ya my fender.  

//www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=68935
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I do not wish for my enemies to be brought to justice, I instead would like to see justice brought to my enemies..."