Bought my first gun..

Started by astrogiblet, May 13, 2008, 04:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astrogiblet

Well.. a coworker of mine at Pizza Hut is 53, an ex marine, and a big gun lover. I started talking to him one day about guns, and next thing I know he's bringing me books and magazines and videos about guns, and then he offered to sell me his Glock 36 (He's also got another Glock.. 357 SIG.. I think its a 31). If your not familiar with this gun its a .45 ACP Subcompact, and the only Slimline gun (single stack magazine) Glock ever made.

Well.. I shot a few rounds through it about a week ago, and decided to buy it from him. I picked up the gun from him today and headed to the range.

The range down here is called Palmetto State Shooting Center, and is run by two ex cops. Its a SUPER clean facility, really nice top of the line feel to it. Digitally controlled targets on a conveyor belt system, really really cool. I shot a hundred rounds of Magtech full metal jacket 45's through it. Real nice, clean round (when I cleaned my gun afterwards there was barely any residue). My coworker usually shot Remington Golden Saber +P Hollowpoints through it (which is the round I shot a week ago), and I could definitely tell the difference with these Magtech bullets.. A lot more controllable.

I did pretty good at the range.. Not really outstanding of course, as it was just my first time, but better then I thought I would. I shot three targets, at 5 yards, 10 yards, and 15 yards. They all pretty much look the same.. Most of my rounds traingulating down from the center.. I have a bad case of 'trigger jerk'.. IE I jerk the gun when I pull the trigger.. which I tried to work on today.

One of the store owners let me hold a fullsize Glock 21 SF 9mm.. one of the new Short Frame Glocks. Felt really good with my big hands, and I swear the guy just about offered to trade me it for my 36...

So anyways.. I know its not a 22 like what I should have bought as my first gun, but I'm still just as happy. I'm thinking for my next gun I'll either get a full size 9mm like that 21SF or a Walther PPK 22LR.

I'm gonna go back there on Sunday (my next day off) and probably rent that 21 SF and shoot a few rounds through it as well as my 36.

But I imagine a few people on here have some interesting stories from their first time shooting or first time to the range.. share em!

-Brandon

4x4x4JK

Are you going to be solving your work/co-worker issues with this?

Paul Hittie

I didn't start with a .22 either - in fact my first firearm was a Thompson/Auto Ordinance Colt 1911 .45 ACP.  Like you I got hooked shooting with a coworker who was retired military.  I didn't discover long guns until  a friend introduced my to squirrel pot pies - .45 is not very practical for squirrels.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

astrogiblet

Quote from: "4x4x4JK"Are you going to be solving your work/co-worker issues with this?

Ha.. not unless one of them pulls a gun on me first. :)

-Brandon

astrogiblet

Quote from: "phittie1100"I didn't start with a .22 either - in fact my first firearm was a Thompson/Auto Ordinance Colt 1911 .45 ACP.  Like you I got hooked shooting with a coworker who was retired military.  I didn't discover long guns until  a friend introduced my to squirrel pot pies - .45 is not very practical for squirrels.

Haha thats awesome! There was a plaque on the wall of the shooting range that shows a 17 year old kid who is the top shooter in the 16-20 year old age range in the state of South Carolina. He shoots a 1911 and was talking about how solid the 1911 frame is and that its been around since WWI.. I know this is pretty common knowledge but I thought it was cool for anybody who isn't familiar with that.

My sister, a social worker, had a family she had to deal with that hunted and ate squirrel like.. every night.. and it was flint town squirrel -- YUCK. She said she would come in and she could tell when they were eating squirrel cause the entire house would smell terrible, lol.

-Brandon