Need an alternator

Started by Mudviper, November 11, 2007, 02:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudviper

If anyone has any leads on a used alternator what would work in my 99XJ I would appreciate it. Auto parts stores want $150 to $250 for one.

Go figure that it gets a little wet it shorts out. Another great idea of Jeep to put them at the bottom of the engine, instead of where the AC unit is.

astrogiblet

Go to Burton Auto at the corner for Saginaw and Maple. They have several XJ's and TJ's theres you could rip one off of.

-Brandon

Mudviper

Thanks for the tip.. I also just found out that I can get a 136A alternator off of a 5.2 to 5.9 dodge engine that is a direct fit for XJ and TJ's. The only thing you really need to do is change the pully. XJ's and TJ's come with a stock 90A alternator.

Trouble is that by the time I get off from work and get home the junk yards are closing up...lol.

TechJeeper

for some reason the alternator I got from Doug dosnt fit, so if it fits yours, you can have it...

ouchman

Quote from: "Gr8archer"for some reason the alternator I got from Doug dosnt fit, so if it fits yours, you can have it...

it come off an xj
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

COF radio http:// 216.59.4.130:8014/listen.pls  http://xat.com/chat/room/85630064/

jeepfan1974

do you still have the rubber protector mat that acts as the splash guard i had the same problem on my old xj
Let\'s go wheeling!

Mudviper

Quote from: "jeepfan1974"do you still have the rubber protector mat that acts as the splash guard i had the same problem on my old xj

No, that fell off eariler this year. I have it in the garage some where. That doesn't help much with the alternator being that low when you are water cross though.

jeepfan1974

i put mine back on and it stopped my problem it also helps keep the mud out of the engine compartment ,        did ya check the big fuse ? i replaced mine on the yj and then found the bad fuse and yes i felt like a dipshit!
Let\'s go wheeling!

Mudviper

Quote from: "jeepfan1974"i put mine back on and it stopped my problem it also helps keep the mud out of the engine compartment ,        did ya check the big fuse ? i replaced mine on the yj and then found the bad fuse and yes i felt like a dipshit!

I took the alternator out and got it bench tested. It failed the bench test and hardly putting out any sort of charge.