Georgia Wheeling

Started by astrogiblet, March 19, 2008, 07:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astrogiblet

Went out wheeling again today. The place near me is quite awesome. Basically, it used to be a forest, but now its mostly been logged. Theres one main trail that goes through it the entire way, and theres little.. uh.. what I guess you could call "trails" that big logging equipment has made. By big logging equipment I mean mostly front end loaders and that sized vehicles, so the trails are quite rough to get down and have lots of stumps and deep mud holes.

I prefer to just make my own trails, since the entire area has been logged, its just stumps and branches and small trees that I assume were too small for the loggers to take so they pile them up and leave them. Along with the log piles, branches, and stumps, theres also lots of water in the area, big puddles and deep mud holes, and a couple areas where you meet a stream. Theres also deep trenches (I think I wrote about these before in another post) where the logging semi trucks back their trailers into so they are at ground level to be loaded.

I really like this area because a stock Jeep can make it through most of it, but not just like drive wherever you want to. You have to actually pick your path, and go slowly over obstacles, and lookout for what your driving over. But theres also bigger challenges that even a heavily modded Jeep could have trouble with.

Heres a link to the pictures. This is only a small part of the area because my camera batteries died. -_- And I was alone, so theres no real "action shots".

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/ ... ?start=all

-Brandon

Mudviper

Didn't realize it was that sandy in Georgia. I know they are known for their red clay

94_xj_country

looks cool brandon. i see its warm enough to have the top down (lucky s.o.b.  :evil: )
support the sport - http://www.glfwda.org

astrogiblet

Quote from: "Mudviper"Didn't realize it was that sandy in Georgia. I know they are known for their red clay

Yea, I was pretty surprised by that too. I barely see any dirt, most everywhere is just sand.

Quote from: "94_xj_country"looks cool brandon. i see its warm enough to have the top down (lucky s.o.b. :evil: )

Yea.. It was 80 degrees out yesterday. :)

-Brandon

Paul Hittie

You be careful playing by yourself - looks like a long walk to civilization.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

astrogiblet

Quote from: "phittie1100"You be careful playing by yourself - looks like a long walk to civilization.

Actually, you'd be surprised! The main area where most of those pictures are from, is right along the road, and across the road theres about 20 feet of trees and then a whole neighborhood. And about.. an 1/8th of a mile down the road is the camp where I'm currently living. I'll have to take pictures to show you exactly how close I am.

But I still am really careful. I don't touch mud or anything while I'm out there alone. Especially when my moms not home. At least when she is we've got the van if I need to be pulled out (The van can definitely make it down the main, well defined trail (its mainly been carved out by Semi trucks going up and down it), and probably part of the way down some of the other trails). I figure my main concern is the possibility of getting held up on a stump and high centering, but then I just gotta get the high lift out and lift up one end and slide off, so I'm not too worried about that.

But theres definitely some things I want to try when I've got another vehicle with me. I'm waiting for my Dad to come down here with his truck.

Anyways, I'm gonna be going out wheeling here in a little bit. We are leaving tonight to come home for 9 days, and this is my last chance to get in some good wheeling! I'll take lots of pics.

-Brandon

astrogiblet

Heres a map to more accurately portray the area (there should be four blue labeled areas, let me know if they aren't showing up):

http://www.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&h ... 4&t=h&z=13

Logging Area 1 - Where the above pictures were taken, and the main wheeling area. Theres a very defined line where the logging has stopped and the tree's are flagged. It doesn't look like they've logged here in a while. If you continue past the flagged off area, the trail your on eventually comes to a gate. On the other side of the gate is a main road. Coming from the road the gate is marked private property.. so I don't go past the flagged tree line.

Logging Area 2 - Theres still lots of trees back there and some logging equipment. However, I never see any logging trucks going back there anymore. When we first came down here there were logging trucks coming in and out of there everytime you went past. Theres a lot of swampy area back here, and tough terrain/mud. It almost leads me to believe that they've given up logging this area. Theres basically one main path, a very small area thats cleared, and another dead end path that leads to a pile of tree's. The main path literally goes RIGHT behind and parallel to the houses in the neighborhood on the north east side. The backyards of the houses are seperated from the main trail by a small chain link fence. I don't really go back here, as theres really nothing to do but drive the short main trail. Although after it rains I've gone back there a few times because the main trail becomes pretty muddy.

Green Peace RV Park - The park where I'm staying. This park has no relation to the political/environmentalist group, its just a nice park surrounded by woods. According to Google Maps from the entrance to this park to the entrance to Logging Area 1 is a half mile.

-Brandon

Yager

Depends on where you are in GA, but yeah, sand clay and pine trees. And Pecans, lots of pecans. Bet there some awesome trails down there, all the swamps and mountains.
04 Cherokee Laredo, 95 Wrangler S
mailto:Jammy11b@Gmail.com\">mailto:Jammy11b@Gmail.com

astrogiblet

Quote from: "Yager"Depends on where you are in GA, but yeah, sand clay and pine trees. And Pecans, lots of pecans. Bet there some awesome trails down there, all the swamps and mountains.

Yea.. I see a lot of swamps around here. Have not found any official trails (other then private ones that are gated and locked). Nearest "official" offroad parks are 3-4 hours away, and most of them appear to be ATV parks, not full size.

But there are absolutely TONS of lifted vehicles everywhere. Everybody has a lifted truck or jeep. I've asked a few locals and I guess if you get in with the local offroad clicks (theres no real groups from what I can tell) then you can wheel somebody's field or somebody's property and stuff like that.

Also I guess there used to be an actual offroad park here like 10 or 15 years ago, but, according to the guy I talked to, they started to find body's there and decided it would be best to close the park. -_-

-Brandon

astrogiblet

Moved all the pictures to a new folder in my photobucket and put the new ones in from today. Heres a link (I'm posting it in the first post too):

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/ ... ?start=all

-Brandon