Budget Boost help

Started by rallykid, February 04, 2009, 12:09:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rallykid

So yesterday I put my skid plate to good use on the LJ and decided I need to take it up a bit so I can get close to the same climbover capability of my previous shorter wheelbase TJ.  I know when I take it to the cabin or my dad's place in Tennessee I am going to get hung up at stock height. I don't need anything major so I am shopping for budget boosts.

With all of the options out there (and there are a LOT) I am looking for some advice.  Does anyone have any brand recommendations for a 2 inch lift? I am leaning heavily toward the "Budget" portion of the budget boost so I know I am looking at spacers. I am just curious if I would be better off to source my own shocks and get the spacers or pick up one of the kits with shocks included. If I source my own does anyone have any good shock recommendations? I know a lot of people are going to recommend OME but at $80 each that kind of stings the wallet right now. I am trying to stay as close to the $200 mark as possible but that is not set in stone if there is something decent for a few bucks more.

I am running 31 10.50's right now on stock alloys and might bump up to 32's in the future but don't really have a need for anything bigger so 2 inch should suit me fine.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned

Paul Hittie

I bought a BDS spacer kit - spacers & bumstops - and added Rough Country shocks later, plenty of clearance for 31s and reasonably cheap.  If you are on a tight budget, get the spacer kit and rear shocks only.  The fronts have enough travel to accomodate the lift, but I blew the rear shocks within 2 weeks of adding the spacers.  They over extended on just about any big bump in the road.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

Nosilla

Quote from: "phittie1100"I bought a BDS spacer kit - spacers & bumstops - and added Rough Country shocks later, plenty of clearance for 31s and reasonably cheap.  If you are on a tight budget, get the spacer kit and rear shocks only.  The fronts have enough travel to accomodate the lift, but I blew the rear shocks within 2 weeks of adding the spacers.  They over extended on just about any big bump in the road.

x2

4x4x4JK

I have a JK, but I run a Terflex 2.5" budget boost with 34" tires.  I am very happy with the BB so far.  It went on in June and I have put 15,000 miles on it so far.  No complaints.  I did also use the shocks with the kit.

rallykid

Thanks guys.  I know I am going to replace all 4 shocks and my steering stabilizer even if I didn't do the lift just because they need to be replaced so I figured it would be a good time to do the lift as well.

I don't want to go over 2 inch because I know much above that can get into a lot more money not only in parts for the lift but other things that need to be replaced as well.

Any recommendations on places to get the best prices on the BDS spacers and the RC shocks? How much stiffer than stock are the RC's? This is my DD and we are going to be making occasional 1600 mile road trips so I kind of want to keep my kidneys where they are.

94_xj_country

try http://www.jeeperzcreeperz.com. also, unlimited offroad and two track minds offroad are both right in fenton
support the sport - http://www.glfwda.org

rallykid

I checked out Jeeperzcreeperz and saw a couple of things that caught my eye.

Any thoughts on the Rought country Hydro 8000 shocks vs the Rubicon Express twin tubes?

jeepfan1974

we got a bb on ebay from hammerhead4x4 he offers a set up with shocks and you can get upgraded shocks from them with the kit heres a link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-Wra ... QQtcZphoto
Let\'s go wheeling!