Help me pick my new tires

Started by rallykid, May 09, 2009, 10:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rallykid

Ok, I am driving myself crazy and this is becoming kind of an obsession for me apparently. I need new tires and I am going in circles trying to figure out what to get.

I know I am going with 33's but I am having trouble deciding which one and what size. 10.5's give me an advantage with a little better gas mileage and a little better snow traction and will also fit on my stock rims.  However 12.5's give me more options but require new rims. They are going on my LJ which is my DD so I am looking for something aggressive enough for weekend wheeling but livable year round as my daily commuter in all conditions.

I have BFG AT's on it now as well as on my last Jeep and they were great but I am thinking something that will clear out a little better in the mud and deep snow. I can get them in 33x10.50 which means I can hold off on rims for now.

I am also looking at the BFG Mud Terrain KM2's as well but I am hesitant as I am not sure how they are in the wet and non deep snow

My third choice is the Goodyear Duratrac which came out a few months back and has been getting really good reviews. It is kind of a hybrid AT/MT and looks really good. However it is only available in 33x12.5 so that means new rims. They are also on a helluva backorder right now so it may take a while to get them.

I know what the AT's are capable of but has anyone had the KM2's? I am wondering how tread life and traction is compared to the AT's. The Good Years are great but require new rims and I am not sure about 12.5's. I love the look of a 12.5 but not sure how the pros and cons weigh out on a wider tire. I know I will lose a little gas mileage, be more prone to hydroplaning and will add slightly more driveline stress but it gives the plusses of a more stable ride, more common size, etc.

I guess what I am looking for is your opinion on which tire would be preferrable and 10.5 vs 12.5. I am really having a hard time making a decision and the Mrs. is starting to get irritated with my frustration and lack of decision so she can get me to shut up and move on to the next thing I want to add.  ::poke::
Always outnumbered, never outgunned

NewRide

Goodyear Wrangler MTR's .. 33x12.5x15 Great all around tire !
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

longarm

Quote from: "NewRide"Goodyear Wrangler MTR's .. 33x12.5x15 Great all around tire !

They are going to be expensive, but the new MTR's look awsome.  They have Kevlar belts in them.  When my Coopers wear out I might just try the new MTR's.  I had the Kevlar based Wrangler Silent Armors and they were unbelievably good.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I do not wish for my enemies to be brought to justice, I instead would like to see justice brought to my enemies..."

jeepfan1974

bfg allterrains ar for accountants ::poke::
Let\'s go wheeling!

rallykid

Quote from: "jeepfan1974"bfg allterrains ar for accountants ::poke::
:lol:

I can't argue with the first set that I had.  I didn't wheel it hard so they worked out fine for me even in deep snow and decent in mud. In heavy mud, rocks, etc they are a big bag of fail.  They did great in the winter though even blasting through drifts over the bumper.

Now though it is time for something a little more aggressive......as long as it is not cost prohibitive. I'm just an underpaid communications worker who hasn't had his lottery numbers come in yet.

TechJeeper

After my Jeep runs I might save up for a set of these in 33s.

NewRide

Don't know what the new cost is but I got mine for 208 a piece out the door
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

jeepfan1974

hey cody when you do can we test the kevlar ?????  :P
Let\'s go wheeling!

Paul Hittie

Quote from: "jeepfan1974"bfg allterrains ar for accountants ::poke::

Hey, I resemble that remark....

Last time I tried to buy a 33x10.50x15 BFG A/T for my spare they had to have it shipped in from a warehouse in AZ.  Rumor at the time was they were phasing out that size in the AT.  I have no complaints about mine, my earlier bitching turned out to be suspension/steering issues, not the tires.  Other than a couple of mud holes, the only time I have wanted more traction was playing on the rock pile at the Sundowners property last fall - could have used some better side biters.  Otherwise for a 95% DD/5% play Jeep, they are a great compromise.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

rallykid

I don't have any major complaints with my all terrains I am just looking for something a little more aggressive.

However there is a lot more room to deal on price with the all terrains as opposed to the KM2's and after the deal I was offered I may end up with them again.

The adventurer in me really wants the KM2 to try something different but the prudent shopper in me says the AT deal I was offered may be too good to pass up. I may end up with my old standby unless they can get me a better deal on the KM2's as there is a couple hundred bucks price difference between the 2. That will go a long way toward paying for my bumper.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. It may come down to how flexible I can be with the budget because the Mrs. Needs tires too. Come on lottery numbers.......

jeepfan1974

ha i diddnt even know you had bfg at's i was just teasing phittie  he said somthing about being an out of shape accountant saturday  and he has a set of at's on his lj                   i like my procomp xterrains they were nearly bald when i got them and they still have loads of grip   but they are to small now  :cry:
Let\'s go wheeling!

jeepfan1974

hey i just found these on cragslist this guys asking $380 for a set of 35's in new condition
http://flint.craigslist.org/pts/1159807082.html
Let\'s go wheeling!

4x4x4JK

I got excited until I saw they were 15's.  If those were 17's I'd be all over it.

rallykid

If I thought I could stuff 35's under it I would look into it but definitely not with my current lift.

I am going tomorrow and test fit a 33 after work to make sure there are no clearance/rub issues and if they are good to go I am going to have him order up some KM2's for install on Thursday or Friday. A little more than I wanted to go once I added in the certificates but I am within $90 of the alotted budget.  I was going to pass on them but the Mrs. convinced me to go for them instead of the AT's which is what I was going to settle for again.  ::woot::