Time to Take Action!!! Preserve Our Trails!

Started by TechJeeper, August 29, 2007, 12:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TechJeeper

copied from gl4x4:

As you all may very well know, the USFS is in the process of designating which routes are to be kept open or closed in National Forests. Under the Route Designation Program, the forest service is proposing to close over 1,800 miles of mostly dirt roads to any motorized vehicle traffic. This includes street legal vehicles, as well as motorcycles and ATVs. Eldorado national Forest (where the Rubicon and several other trails are located) is in the forefront of putting this devastating plan into effect. There are approximately 3,200 miles of forest system roads, with the map the Forest Service is proposing, we will lose 1,800 miles of those.

So PLEASE go to http://www.preserveourtrails.com and sign the petetition...THEN look in your email and click the link to send an automated letter to Mr. Ramiro Villalvazo (Eldorado Nat'l Forest Supervisor) and tell him that you want these trails left open for you to enjoy, and for your children to enjoy.

----------------------------

http://www.preserveourtrails.com

I have signed it, please take the time and sign the petition.  I know, it's not local, but who knows, maybe our club trip in a couple years will be the Rubicon Trail.

Thank You,
Cody

jeepfan1974

come on all lets do are part
Let\'s go wheeling!

astrogiblet

I signed 'er.

-Brandon

NewRide

:P
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

longarm

I signed mine
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I do not wish for my enemies to be brought to justice, I instead would like to see justice brought to my enemies..."

Nosilla

signed :D

Paul Hittie

Done - and please please please don't forget that NFS route designation is also taking place here in Michigan.  I only discovered the trails in the Huron-Manistee NF a little over a year ago with Pat Brower from Two Trackers as my guide.  Many of the trails we traveled with Pat over the last two summers are already being bermed off.  There are hundreds of miles of trails in the HMNF that will be closed unless marked open in the motorized vehicle travel map.  There was no public comment period, and no ability to appeal the decision.  We have to wait a year, then try to make changes on the 2009 map.  The worst part is that it will become the responsibility of the user to know if they are on an open trail - the trails will not be marked, and the preliminary version of the map has very few topigraphical or other reference marks to keep you on the right trail.  

How can you help closer to home?  Pat needs help this weekend in the Cadillac area building a GPS database of the "M-Triangle" area.  This is an area that the Baldwin Ranger District Office has decided to try a test case, and put a marked trail system in a section of the HMNF.  This is a first for the forest service, as it will be a 4x4-only designated trail system.  No bikes, quads, razors or anything else will be allowed.  This is the final weekend they have available to map the area before submitting data to the NFS.

Also, check out the KOTARO post on GLFWDA.  This is just getting off the ground, and will begin to do more next year after Pat wraps up the M-Triangle project.

Slow morning today, can you tell?? :D
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

Nick in Cali

**UPDATE from Friends Of The Rubicon** On August 24th at 3:30 p.m. Judge Karlton in Federal District Court in San Francisco signed an extension request to extend the comment period for the DEIS on the Eldorado National Forest. The comment period will now close on October 19th 2007. Also included in the order is an extension of the time the forest has to complete the EIS to April 2nd 2008.

PLEASE spead the word to local clubs, moms, dad's, aunts & uncles; to motorcycle and ATV clubs, full size 4x4's and sled clubs alike. All forms of off highway recreation is impacted by these closures. This petition is NOT just about the Eldorado Nat'l Forest Trails. Offroader's of all types need to have one voice in saying that we will not go quietly into the night, and let our public lands be taken away. DON'T allow certain groups to set a precedent for future trail closures!