hunters

Started by ouchman, October 01, 2007, 04:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astrogiblet

Yea, both his sniper rifles were Mausers. Unfortunately I don't know enough about guns to be able to relay all the things he told me about them. He did say for the SKS you can get a 40 round clip for it that makes it basically an automatic rifle. :)

I'd really like a Garand or a Kar 98, but I've heard they are pretty expensive now days.

-Brandon

jeepfan1974

i had a m1 garrand it was a fun rifle but was worth way more than i paid    so i sold it it was way heavy it gave me a good respect for the ww2 soldiers that luged that thing across the world  it was very accurate also all eight rounds in a paper plate at 150 yards
Let\'s go wheeling!

astrogiblet

Yea.. I was just looking at prices for them.. You can get them for around a grand. A garand for a grand!

-Brandon

Paul Hittie

Mmmm, Mauser - I have a M38 Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55.  Nice flat shooter out to about 220yrds, almost no recoil, and one of the most successful MOOSE cartridges in Sweden.  And just in case you need to lob rounds in at 1000+ yards, it still retains the military flip-up tang sight.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

jeepfan1974

yeah the 1909 is a derivative of the m98 i was told it has a stronger reciver  i was asking around about rebarreling it to a 300 win mag that was before i took it to the range i am now very happy with it    i'm hunting with it this year     i need a rifle good for 250 yards or more now     the famliy had the propperty logged   2 years ago changed the whole place i saw 12 differnt deer opening day was hunting with my trusty 35 remington needless to say i missed three different deer that day    its range is 100 yard max
Let\'s go wheeling!

Paul Hittie

I keep trying to find an excuse to buy a surplus 8mm KAR98 and convert it into a hunter like my Swede, but this Jeep thing seems to suck up most of my extra cash.

jeepfan1974

dunams has them pretty cheap    like 150 or so they have sales on them    i kinda inherited mine
Let\'s go wheeling!

astrogiblet

KAR98 for $150? Holy shit.. I'm on my way right now! Thats on my list of guns I want to own some day... Does it come with a bayonet?

-Brandon

astrogiblet

Since you guys seem to know a lot about guns. I want to buy my first ever rifle. I want it for target shooting, not hunting. My only requirement is that its bolt action, and that its something I can learn on. Any suggestions for a gun and where to buy it?

-Brandon

Paul Hittie

A great choice for beginners is a bolt action .22 rimfire.  Lets you learn about trigger control, sight picture, and controlling your breathing without dealing with recoil.  Plus they are relatively inexpensive, and you can shoot all day on $5 of ammunition.

jeepfan1974

i agree
Let\'s go wheeling!

jeepfan1974

the rifle i was refering to paul was a standard run of the mill m 98   have you ever looked on this site             http://www.mauser.org/rifles/blackarrow/index.htm
Let\'s go wheeling!

Paul Hittie

Anything that requires a .50BMG round is not standard run of the mill anything!

astrogiblet

I think he meant to link to this gun:

http://www.mauser.org/rifles/mauser_m98/index.htm

Isn't a 22 like.. one step up from a BB gun?

-Brandon

Paul Hittie

Still a bit out of my price range.

.22 is a step up from a BB gun.  But a significant step up.  A .22 will kill people and critters, a BB gun won't (remember A Christmas Story?  "You'll shoot your eye out kid" but no one was worried about him killing anything).  Well, maybe a well-placed head shot from a really good BB gun would take a squirrel or small bird.  More wieght + more velocity = more Kinetic Energy, and a more ballistic shape means it retaines that energy over much greater distances.  A weapon vs a toy.