That is the definition of a Jeep in today's world?

Started by Mudviper, October 07, 2007, 04:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudviper

I was bored last night and this morning so I pulled up the youtube and started watching some offroading videos from around the word. That kind of got me pondering. Does the name Jeep have the same definition today as it did years ago? Here is what the Merriam-Webster's Dictionary says what a Jeep is.

Main Entry: 1jeep  
Pronunciation: 'jEp
Function: noun
Etymology: probably ultimately from Eugene the Jeep, character in the comic strip Thimble Theater by Elzie C. Segar
: a small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80-inch wheelbase, 1/4-ton capacity, and four-wheel drive used by the United States Army in World War II; also : a similar but larger and more powerful United States army vehicle

When I was in Singapore for a couple of weeks about 15 or so years ago, the natives there referred to the Suzuki Vitara and the GEO Trackers as Jeepies.  I was watching some Russian video's this morning on a vehicle they call the UAZ, which is their version of our Wrangler, which by the way after watching the videos for these things, I want one of them. In one of the videos I was watching, there was a comment made that Jeep in no longer a Trademark name, but a classification of vehicles.

So in today's day and age, is Jeep still considered a Trademark name or has it now become a classification of different makes and models of vehicles? Should the GEO Trackers, Suzuki Vitara's, Defender 90's, Land Rovers, or any other type of small SUV be called Jeeps also?

I must say also that I was quite impressed as how well the Suzuki Vitara's do offroad when I was watching a series of videos on them. I watch one video where one of them just climbed up a steep vertical hill with out much of any trouble and highly dought my XJ would have even made it up that hill.

Nosilla

Very interesting thought. Some people think that anything after the CJ's aren't true jeeps. You do seem to be right though. it does seem to be a new trademark around the world. At least i have a real jeep brand vehicle. Not a imposter.

Paul Hittie

Useless feedback from a former history major:  :geek:

The US GP vehicle program in WW2 was not unique.  As Germany geared up for WW2, Hitler instructed the infant Volkswagen company to design a GP military vehicle.  It didn't pan out, but another German manufacturer modieifed and pefected the idea and produced the Kubelwagon, a scout/command car similar to the Willys, but a little bit bigger.  The Soviet UAZ also has a WW2 military heritage - the original design was similar in proportions to a Jeep, and like the Jeep was more widely modified and adapted to various roles than the German Kubelwagon.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance