Main Menu

Tires

Started by Paul Hittie, April 01, 2014, 06:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hittie

I didn't plan to do it, but sold the E rated tires right out from under the Jeep today.  Someone on gl4x4 was looking for a set of MT tires, same size, I sent some pictures and measurements, sold.  So today's question is "what size do I buy?". Currently only have room for 32", planning for 35" but have a lot of work to do first.  And a lot of money to spend that I currently don't have.  Thinking about an inexpensive set if 33's for now, can make the work by adding a body lift which is first on the to do lost.  Or do I go with a set of inexpensive 35's, get the saw all out and use fenders like Gogolen's?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

gogolen

GO BIG OR GO HOME! Seriously though, you'd be further ahead to get the sized tires you ultimately want to run, rather than spending money on 33's that in the end you'll sell to buy what you wanted to begin with.  I'm really happy with my MCE fenders by the way.

J's Jeep

Tough call.  I like our 33s and they work fine for what we do.  I don't see going to 35s as it would be a lot higher for Jane to get in and out of(she drives it daily) and it wouldn't fit in my garage(barely clears now).

gogolen

Nevermind I'm a dummy  :-X

LPM606

Don't know if they'd work, but I have the stock tires from the JK in the shed... You could use them as a loaner until you have $$ for the build and 35's... Not sure what size they are... and I think they are for 16" rims... I'd have to check... But, worst case you could buy a cheap set of 16" rims if needs be... I don't know if that is all more complicated than just buying some tires, but if you are interested we can figure it out...

Paul Hittie

I have Rubicon/Moab 16" rims on it already so shopping for a 16" tire.  I think I am going to go the cheap/immediate fix route and head to Sam's Club.  Their new Kanati Mud Hogs seem to have decent reviews in some of the mags, and they all emphasize the street-ability of these tires for an MT.  And I think for now I am going to stick to a 33" (285/75/R16) tire, if I jump to 35's I will be unable to get my camper around efficiently without re-gearing, and I need to address some armor plating and mechanical upgrades first.  Besides, skinny 33" ATs have worked up until now, won't kill me to delay the leap into a 35" tire.

Paul Hittie

gogolen

Don't be silly, you'll be fine!

zaqs_dad

Quote from: phittie1100 on April 03, 2014, 12:19:17 PM
I have Rubicon/Moab 16" rims on it already so shopping for a 16" tire.  I think I am going to go the cheap/immediate fix route and head to Sam's Club.  Their new Kanati Mud Hogs seem to have decent reviews in some of the mags, and they all emphasize the street-ability of these tires for an MT.  And I think for now I am going to stick to a 33" (285/75/R16) tire, if I jump to 35's I will be unable to get my camper around efficiently without re-gearing, and I need to address some armor plating and mechanical upgrades first.  Besides, skinny 33" ATs have worked up until now, won't kill me to delay the leap into a 35" tire.

Go on Craigslist and by some cheap 33's. For instance, I'm selling my Mickey Thompson 305x65x17 for $200. Too bad you don't have a 17 inch wheel. They're good enough until the next snowfall.