So what's in your Jeep?

Started by Paul Hittie, May 19, 2014, 06:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hittie

Sitting around the campfire we got into a discussion of what we carry in our Jeeps - each of us likes to play on different terrain, has more or less experience, has more or less disposable cash for "stuff", so no two Jeeps are equipped the same.  I started to type out a lengthy list of the crap I carry, but thought maybe I would stick to the unusual stuff, or the stuff you never realized was hiding in my grossly overloaded Jeep.

-2m radio - until you have been in the woods where no cell phone will work, and in terrain that CBs are limited to 1/2 mile at best, you will never appreciate the value of HAM radio.
-My first aid kit does not contain an epi-pen since I do not have those kind of serious allergies.  But I have 4.7 pounds of medical supplies, and I tie a mean stitch when required.
-AC/DC AA battery charger w/extra batteries.  My GPS always dies 2.3 miles after the start of a trail ride
-Jumper cables and welding wire
-Tarp to sleep under or work on top of
-Gal & Qt Ziplocks, since you never know when you might need to drain an oil pan or diff and re-use the oil
-Peat-Sorb for when the oil ends up on the ground despite the ziplocks

When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

StingRay66

Well let me see...
qt of trans fluid
qt motor oil
tool box
another tool box
2 folding chairs  [I like to sit and watch ]
county map book
Duct tape
u joint
bag of tools
plastic drain pan
enough c-clevis' to pull about 200 feet
Russ

No God ....................No Peace

Know God ................Know Peace

LPM606

And on trail miantenance a year or two back, Russ produced a new masterlock from his jeep when I lost the one off the trailer door on the trsil... That was one that made me scratch my head a bit!

bullhed78

Usually it's just...

-Car seats
-Diaper bag
-My backback that is setup as a mini survival pack and first aid kit
-Small recovery kit and tool bag

This is also the order of use... LoL

naypalm

20W Cobra 29 LTD Classic Nightwatch CB Radio
wilson 1000 whip antenna
200W Galaxy CB Amplifier
CB Tuner
400W 120V inverter
Quart of motor oil
Quart of trans oil
Jug o Coolant
Extra Serpentine belt
Box of Fuses, wire and connector caps
Tools
Lock picks
Army Shovel
Manual winch and Tow strap
Tire Air compressor
Bottlejack
JB Weld & Superglue
bug spray
Matches & Newspaper
Basic First Aid Kit
Garbage bags
Extra wipers front and rear
camping chair
Pillow & blanket
food & water

LPM606

Matt mentions a camping chair and that is a really good idea... last year I tried to remember to just keep a chair in the Jeep and that way wherever we wind up camping, stopping for lunch on the trails etc. I had a chair with me...

One interesting call out from Matt's List... Lock Picks!  WTF??? Didn't know his side gig was residential burglary...

J's Jeep

Have you added a hammer to your list yet Ed?

36mm socket with breaker bar
12 point 13mm for front bearing bolts
zip ties
wire
electrical tape
ujoints
RTV
brake fluid
hose clamps
torx sockets
telescoping magnet
cooler with snacks and cold beverage

Paul Hittie

For those packing u-joints, do you pack the other goodies to swap them on the trail?  We found a couple of the necessities in short supply this weekend:

key for your locking lug nuts
36mm socket
13mm 12 pt socket
BFH
Over sized socket for driving out the old u-joint into as you take everything apart (mine is 1 5/16")
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

naypalm

Quote from: LPM606 on June 02, 2014, 06:39:38 AM
Matt mentions a camping chair and that is a really good idea... last year I tried to remember to just keep a chair in the Jeep and that way wherever we wind up camping, stopping for lunch on the trails etc. I had a chair with me...

One interesting call out from Matt's List... Lock Picks!  WTF??? Didn't know his side gig was residential burglary...

I always forget the hammer. Atlanta is covered in rocks and boulders. Natures Hammer. Also, I'm awful with remembering keys. "Locksmithing" tools are your friend.