Project Cheep Cheorkee

Started by Mudviper, April 13, 2008, 12:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudviper

Trucks on Spike TV just started their Cheep Cherokee build up. Looks like some interesting and cheep build up ideas. They will also be installing a Ford 8.8 onto it. Something I will be looking forward to watching. For those of us building up an XJ, might be something to pay attention too.

Already found out by using D30 axle shafts out of a D30 with ABS is an upgrade to a D30 axle shafts without ABS. It appears that the D30 ABS axle shafts are slightly bigger in diameter then non ABS axle shafts.

longarm

You could go to a bone yard and pull the D44 rear axle out of a Honda Parrport/Isuzu Rodeo.  They are disk brakes too.  Not too much modding to fit it either.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I do not wish for my enemies to be brought to justice, I instead would like to see justice brought to my enemies..."

Mudviper

From my understanding. D44's are a bit more expensive then an 8.8, but that is just from what I see people charging form them. Not sure what a junkyard would sell them for.  I think also that it is easier to find an 8.8 with LSD and 4:10 gears then it is a D44 with LSD and 4:10 gears, but again I am just speculating on that too.

Also I was mistaken on the D30 axle shafts. It is not that shafts that are larger, but the U-Joints are larger on the ABS D30 axles shafts

geesaw

Concerning the cost of junkyard axles, the west side of the state has been lucky to get some west coast style self service yards. Not to give away my best secret, but LKQ has three locations in Holland, Dorr and Kalamazoo. As far as I can tell, they appear to be owned by a national used parts parent company of the same name.

The local franchises have been very aggressive in buying existing yards, and of purchasing cars and trucks, and even sales such as half off days, usually on holiday weekends.

They charge a two dollar admission fee, but the prices are more than fair, especially since they have 'blanket' prices, one rate per piece for cars, slightly higher for trucks. Blanket price means that it doesn't matter what the piece is specifically, a Dana 30 is the same price as a Dana 60, etc., an axle is an axle, a starter is a starter.

I know it would be a stretch for the Flint area folks considering gas prices and the fact you don't always find what you want or need. They keep an inventory of make & model currently in the yard, but that is as specific as they get.

I'm just mentioning it in case some of WLB happens to find theirselves on this side of the state for other reasons, check it out.

With the success they have had (and my satisfaction with them) hopefully they will spread across the state.
95 ZJ just ANOTHER green Orvis

"I started with nothing, but I still have most of it left."

94_xj_country

good choice on the 8.8 steve. not only are there lots with factory 4.10's and LSD, but most of them (possibly all?) have disk brakes
support the sport - http://www.glfwda.org

Mudviper

Actually the only reason why I would even consider going to an 8.8 is because no one makes a reasonably priced locker for the 29 spline 8.25. For the cost of buying a locker from my 8.25 I can get a 8.8 LSD cheaper.

Someone just put an 8.8 with 4:10s on GL site I am trying to get. It has an open diff, but Aussie makes a cheap locker for it.