Electric fan swap

Started by Nosilla, July 27, 2007, 05:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nosilla

I started mt electric fan swap today. Go the fan out shroud off, got the new fan bought. Got the new fan bolted up. Now i just need to go buy some relays and get it wired up. Also need to find a way to remount my power steering fluid container and my antifreeze overflow bottle.

Sould be able to get it finished up when i get home Sunday from Up north.

Boy does that engine bay look empty with out that huge shroud.

longarm

Fan Shroud?  Harley said they are overrated.   :mrgreen:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I do not wish for my enemies to be brought to justice, I instead would like to see justice brought to my enemies..."

Nosilla

Yup i no longer have 1 now. I'm gonna stop when i go out to get dinner and get the rest of the stuff i need to finish. That should consist of a couple relays, temp sensor and some beer. That should about get it finished i would say.....

I should be home to go wheel on Sunday then i can try it out. :D

Chris99XJ

You gonna post some pic's of this job NOSILLA

TechJeeper

Sooooo Neil, when we gonna do mine :-D

Nosilla

sure i will post some pics. i will have to take some first.

Nosilla

My swap is complete. Works perfect. Comes on about 190 and cools it down to 170 in about 20 seconds.

This was a pretty simple swap really.

Thanks for the tech help john.

I think i am gonna do the tie rod next. Bound to get bent with these 35's. I figure i might as well since i think i need new end allready.

longarm

What was the total out of pocket cost for ya Neil?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I do not wish for my enemies to be brought to justice, I instead would like to see justice brought to my enemies..."

Nosilla

I had just under 70.00 for it. 30.00 for the fan and 38 for the Harness that has adjustable thermostat in it.

When we doing yours?

I did some research online and found that, the 4.0 needs about 2000 cfm to be enough to keep it cool.

I found the Taurus fan puts out around 2200 on low speed and 2500 on high speed. This is why alot of people use these fans. Plus they are a perfect fit for our wranglers.

I also found that people with the strokers have been using a fan out of a lincoln Mark VIII with the 4.8 liter v-8.

So when i went to the junk yard i was looking for 1 of either of these fans.

When i got home i did more reasearch on the lincoln fan since that is what i bought,and i found out that this fan puts out 3250 cfm on low and a huge 4200 on high. So needless to say it cools mine very easy.

Now that i have done 1 of these I could probally do them again it about 2 hours. I had about 4 hours in mine.

When i went to the mounds yesterday i knew that it would be a good test for it. Low speeds and higher RPM's is a great test. I found it worked perfect,and only runs for maybe 20 seconds at a time.

Even while doing the winching yesterday with holding the RPM's at 2500 while winching, it never broke 190 degrees.

Hope this info helps.

lowNslow

Hey Neil.. I have been reading about doing this myself has well as the 4.0 throttle body swap... can you do a how to ..with pics?

Nosilla

I didn't take any pics. I can take a pic of the completed project if you want me to.

Chris99XJ

Id like to see what you got done
Ive been thinking of a new fan i seen on JC Whitneys web site
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Prod ... 58/c-10101

Nosilla

I am sure that would work great if you are towing with your xj.

The fan i used was 18". It covers basically the whole radiator.

jeepfan1974

hey if the engine dies you can put that fan on the back and make a air boat err jeep      lol
Let\'s go wheeling!

Nosilla

Dang near. 8-)