Transmission Cooling Lines..

Started by astrogiblet, August 01, 2007, 09:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

astrogiblet

Anybody ever had to fix these before? How hard is it to do? Evidently after weeks of trying to figure out this damn warranty, the cooling lines aren't even covered.

They want $500 to put them on.. So we are gonna tow it home and try to put them on ourselves...

God this sucks...

-Brandon

GOT ROCKS

It whouldn't be too hard to fix with the right tools.

You have a PM for pricing.

Anthony
RHINO ZJ:
//http://www.rhinozj.com
I <3 my Bacon Pockets!

TechJeeper

He has I believe a 99 TJ 2.5L Automatic

Nosilla

wow is there a echo in here,here,here here,  :lol:

LeePotter

depending on where it is broke/leaking it shouldn't be to hard at all.

astrogiblet

Its a 98 2.5 Auto.

And yea.. I called the dealership today and they want $95 for the line, and something like $23 for one "updated" connector, and $12 for another.. for each side!

-Brandon

astrogiblet

I'm hoping to find someone that can pull the lines off an old tranny, or an old jeep that they dont use anymore or somethign.. Maybe I'll go up to burton auto tomorrow. I can't pay $250 for the lines, plus $200 for labor..

I'm back to what the dealership quoted me at of $500....

I called Autozone to see if they carry the lines, and the guy said they didn't have them, but he couldn't tell me whether they are a dealer only item and thats why, or if they just didn't carry them. Lot of use that call was.

-Brandon

94_xj_country

i got next week off if you need help fixin it bro
support the sport - http://www.glfwda.org

astrogiblet

:) Thanks.

-Brandon

astrogiblet

So I got her home. Got underneath her (good god are ramps the best invention in the world!), and found that the whole reason my tranny lines were leaking was because the previous owner had broken the line before, and had spliced in a piece of rubber tubing with clamps instead of buying a new $100 line. Now, this was a great fix, however the rubber tubing was getting too old, had dry rodded and cracked in the middle (theres like two sections of tubing, an inner section and an outer, the inner had cracked), and the clamp was on it way too tight and was cutting through the tubing.

So I went up to Ace Hardware, got a new 6" tube for 75 cents, spliced it in and it worked great. No more leaks. Saved me approx. $499.25. :D

Only thing was I put about a quart too much tranny fluid in, so now I'm in the process of suctioning the fluid out through the tubing with a brake line bleeder (instead of dropping the pan and emptying the fluid).

Just gotta do that then I'm gonna go driving around for a bit to make sure that everything is stable, no more leaks, etc.. And I should be back in business.

Then I gotta start putting all the new things on.. my 2" spacer lift (missed out on 4" coils, unfortunately), setup my onboard air system, measure up the safari top and have my mom sew it so it fits properly, get the hide-a-trunk in, get the sound bar on, get the door surrounds mounted up, etc etc etc...

The work never ends... :p

But I'm enjoying it.. its nice to be back wrenching on something again.. Its been a month or so since the last time I really got into working on something on a vehicle.

-Brandon

Nosilla

So is the trans fixed also?

astrogiblet

Well.. Just drove it for around 20 or 30 minutes. The side of the tube that was leaking before is bone dry. However, the side of the tube that wasn't leaking before now has a slight leak. I just gotta take it off tomorrow, get rid of the crappy clamp that I re-used out of lazyness, and put one of the new clamps on and try to get the tube further on the metal pipe.

Tranny is still screwing up. I was almost positive that was going to happen. I told the guys at Genesee Valley Dodge that I would probably be back to have that looked at once I got the tube fixed, I think thats why they didn't charge me ANYTHING for all the diagnosis they did (and the two weeks that they had it).

So I drained over a quart of fluid out of it (we filled up a full quart bottle and there was still a lot we could have put in), but it doesn't look like the fluid level on the dipstick dropped any. We checked it multiple times (in case there was just fluid in the dipstick tube from filling it up), but it never really changed. I'm not sure what the problem could be.. There CANNOT be too much fluid in there now. After many puddles underneath my tranny, I added 3 quarts to it, and now thats 1-2 quarts lower after I suctioned it out.. So really I only added 1 or 1 and a half quarts.

I'm thinking I'm gonna take it into somewhere to get the fluid flushed and filled, that way I know any shit that could have gotten in there like mud or anything from offroading is outta there, and then I'll have the exact right amount of fluid in too.

-Brandon

Nosilla

If the tranny still isn't fixed don't waste you money on a flush.

astrogiblet

Yea.... I was hoping that *might* fix the problem.

Ryan, when I was at his house, was saying the governor for the tranny almost definitely has dirt on it and thats why my tranny is screwing up?

-Brandon

longarm

I'm glad that Genesee Valley Dodge didn't charge you for that.  They take care of Jeepers.  Thats probably because their two top managers are both avid off road Jeepers.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I do not wish for my enemies to be brought to justice, I instead would like to see justice brought to my enemies..."