Front Brakes...

Started by astrogiblet, August 13, 2007, 04:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astrogiblet

Soo... My front brakes are SMOKING. Like.. big plumes of smoke.

It was so bad that people were staying back like 500 feet behind me while I was driving down the road.

So today I took both front wheels off, everything looked great on the passenger side. The drivers side everything was covered in black, like it had caught on fire.

So I bought a new drivers side caliper, and I bought new Carbon front brake pads for both sides. Got everything on, it all went on smoothly, everything seemed to be working great.

Took it for a long drive, get back, and the passenger side is smoking like theres a small fire on the caliper, and the drivers side is smoking like half as much.

Everything was put back on right. The sliders were all lubed and checked to make sure they slid, and they did so great. We bled everything... and it all looks fine..

So what could be wrong? The U-joints LOOK like they are in good shape (Cody had mentioned that his broken U joint caused his brakes to do the same thing), and everything in the front end looks good.

I'm going to go buy a new caliper for the passenger side to see if that helps.. and I guess go from there, but both sides are smoking, I can't imagine one caliper could cause both sides to smoke...

Any suggestions? Could it be the front hub assembly's?

-Brandon

Nosilla

Thats a odd one. I have no idea. But maybe a hub could cause the rotor won't turn true if it is bad.

astrogiblet

Yea.. I know.. I posted on Gl4x4 too...

I'm not sure.. Only thing I can think of is getting new hubs and rotors...

Aren't hubs like 60 bucks a piece though? Argh!

According to the service manual, it says the hubs are so complicated that "you should let a dealer service them for you". Even better, huh?

-Brandon

94_xj_country

Quote from: "astrogiblet"Yea.. I know.. I posted on Gl4x4 too...

I'm not sure.. Only thing I can think of is getting new hubs and rotors...

Aren't hubs like 60 bucks a piece though? Argh!

According to the service manual, it says the hubs are so complicated that "you should let a dealer service them for you". Even better, huh?

-Brandon

last time i bought a hub it was more than 60 bucks, and it was also very easy
support the sport - http://www.glfwda.org

Nosilla

TJ hubs are 99 at murray's Lifetime warrenty. Brandon, stop by tomorrow i will check them for you. They are easy to change out if needed. I can do 1 in about 15 minutes.

TechJeeper

Quote from: "Nosilla"TJ hubs are 99 at murray's Lifetime warrenty. Brandon, stop by tomorrow i will check them for you. They are easy to change out if needed. I can do 1 in about 15 minutes.

Indeed, he has had lots of practice :-P

Nosilla

That i do. :D

astrogiblet

I replied to your PM Neil. Unfortunately I work tomorrow 11-5, and I'm not sure if my Jeep would even make it to your house!

-Brandon