Pop Corn Noise from Front of my TJ

Started by hemrides, July 18, 2010, 06:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemrides

I still have a noise coming from the front of my stock TJ.  It only does it at low speeds, when going over a small bump in the road, etc.  I have replaced the links to the front stabilizer, and put new poly bushings on the front track bar.  The nosie is a metal on metal sound, and it only does it after you have been driving for 2-4 miles.  Could it be the upper or lower control arms?  Also are those under any pressure, or can you just take the bolts out and they fall off.  Can the arm go bad, or do I just need to get new bushings?   Sorry for all the questions.  Heading to Colorado, Moab and AZ and want to get this thing fixed.

Thanks,
Dave

TechJeeper

Have you checked the wheel bearings and the axle shaft ujoints?  They are extremely common parts to wear out and make lots of differnt sounds.

Paul Hittie

I agree with Cody - get it up on some jack stands and make sure when you push/pull top/bottom or left/right that there isn't a lot of "slop" anywhere, have someone cycle the steering left-right while you watch/listen, and with the wheels cranked try spinning the tires to check for noises.  Lot's of things can make noises in the front, but 20 minutes in the garage should help rule out (or id) a bunch or them.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

hemrides

Well...I narrowed down the noise to be in or around the engine of Trans.  It turned out to be the shifter linkage bushings in the trans that caused the problem.  Fred, mechanic @ Szott's Jeep, found an old service bulletin that talked about this noise. He also spent time with me prior to taking my TJ into the shop.  They replaced the bushings and no more noise.  Hope this might help someone else.  

Thanks again for your feedback.

Dave

When is the Sept. club meeting?  Will try to make it.

ouchman

Quote from: "hemrides"When is the Sept. club meeting?  Will try to make it.

sunday the 5th, at all stars, on dort hwy, just south of judd rd, at 6pm, upstairs, hope to see you there.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

COF radio http:// 216.59.4.130:8014/listen.pls  http://xat.com/chat/room/85630064/