Breaker Breaker 19. Newbie installs a CB.

Started by alan6271, December 02, 2014, 12:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan6271

Thanks for the info.  I was a bit worried about cost.  It seems I have about $200 into the CB at this point. 

So on the trips, like Snow Bound, would you be operating both radios or how do you foresee that working out?  Or did you just get your HAM license for other purposes?
Does anyone else smell that?  Smells like burnt hot dogs and transmission fluid!

gogolen

Quote from: alan6271 on December 03, 2014, 03:00:48 PM
Thanks for the info.  I was a bit worried about cost.  It seems I have about $200 into the CB at this point. 

So on the trips, like Snow Bound, would you be operating both radios or how do you foresee that working out?  Or did you just get your HAM license for other purposes?
Yes, I'll be running both radios.  CB to talk to people in the group, 2M to talk to the other guides.  CB range is very limited especially when you start throwing hills and trees in the mix.  Ham radios can access repeaters and go much further. CB radios are limited to 4 watts, that little handheld for 30 bucks puts out 5 watts, vehicle mounted mobile units average 50 watts.

LPM606

yes, sorry... didn't mean to imply we were going away from them... the HAM radios are really nice but most people don't have them, and you can generally get buy on CB's.  We have a few people looking into their HAM license as they will be trail guiding on our upcoming Snowbound trip and they are nice for the trail guide to be able to speak to the sweep directly...

alan6271

Quote from: LPM606 on December 03, 2014, 09:19:31 PM
yes, sorry... didn't mean to imply we were going away from them... the HAM radios are really nice but most people don't have them, and you can generally get buy on CB's.  We have a few people looking into their HAM license as they will be trail guiding on our upcoming Snowbound trip and they are nice for the trail guide to be able to speak to the sweep directly...

No problem.  I just spent last night pulling the CB out of the Jeep to make room for the HAM. ;)

See you guys Sunday.
Does anyone else smell that?  Smells like burnt hot dogs and transmission fluid!

alan6271

Hey Ryan, where did you take your class at?  I looked around here but don't see one.  There is an online class available.

gogolen

Quote from: alan6271 on December 04, 2014, 07:35:38 AM
Hey Ryan, where did you take your class at?  I looked around here but don't see one.  There is an online class available.
https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/
Pay the 24.95 for the technician exam and do all the study stuff before the practice exam. 

alan6271

Thanks for the advice.  I'm going to look into this just to have it. 

LPM606

Just did the free part of the online course.  Pretty interesting!  I actually learned some stuff!  Not sure how knowing Ohm's law is going to make me more capable of speaking on a radio, but I'm in for the $24.95!

Paul Hittie

Once you go Ham you never go back.  The one thing Ryan skipped over in his "why Ham" is AM vs FM - your car radio tells it all, AM is scratchy and FM has much clearer sound quality.  So not only does the small 2m (2 meter wave length) handheld match the CB for cost and exceed the power output of a CB, it provides a clearer signal that can be bounced off of a repeater station and rebroadcast over a 30-50 mole radius.  The only shortfall in the small handheld 2m radio is the small rubber ducky type antenna.  A $20 upgrade to a longer antenna (18in or so, or 1/4 wavelength) helps, or if a long  piece of wire does not bother you a $3 adapter and a 3' piece of wire 1/2 wavelength long gives you a very nice antenna.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

alan6271

so Paul, you have a HAM license already? 

I will take the course and my test.  I am sure I'll keep you posted.

LPM606

Where did you find the dates of the tests?  I can bang out the study course in the next week and take the exam on the 20th if I know where/when...

gogolen

Quote from: LPM606 on December 05, 2014, 10:20:54 PM
Where did you find the dates of the tests?  I can bang out the study course in the next week and take the exam on the 20th if I know where/when...
http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-exam-session

LPM606

Excellent... Saturday Morning at Baker College... I can do that! 

Paul Hittie

I have had my license for about 3 years I think.  We use them regularly at SnoFari to communicate discretely between leader and sweep ("Can you believe the idiot in the brown Jeep out here on bald tires?") and between different groups ("Hey Jim I am heading southbound through the MSA on the center trail, did you guys clear that area already?")
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance