Help with fabricating a bracket

Started by alan6271, December 11, 2014, 08:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan6271

I bought a Smitty Bilt XRC bumper and Warn VR8000 winch.  I have the winch mounted to the bumper but the controller that the remote plug into is supposed to mount on the top side of the winch.  The bracket they ship will not let that control box clear the light tab on the bumper bar. 

I am thinking I'll mount the bumper on the Jeep and just zip tie the control box to the winch to drive it over somewhere I can get a bracket fabricated. 

Here's my question:  Is anyone on the forum here willing to help me out with this by fabricating a new bracket?  I do not have the equipment or knowledge to fab. metal. 
Does anyone else smell that?  Smells like burnt hot dogs and transmission fluid!

bullhed78

I don't do any sort of fab work. Sorry.

gogolen

Mount the controller under the hood, then get one of these

LPM606

My winch came with brackets to mount over the roller or over the motor... if I can find the parts I didn't use, that might be a solve, or at least a good starting point...

alan6271

Quote from: gogolen on December 11, 2014, 10:08:09 PM
Mount the controller under the hood, then get one of these

Now that looks cool.

I thought about mounting it under the hood but the cables that are permanently installed in the controller are only about a foot long. 

I like the switch you have.  How did you wire that into the winch?  I only have a wired remote control.
Does anyone else smell that?  Smells like burnt hot dogs and transmission fluid!

alan6271

Quote from: LPM606 on December 11, 2014, 11:23:47 PM
My winch came with brackets to mount over the roller or over the motor... if I can find the parts I didn't use, that might be a solve, or at least a good starting point...

Even a picture of the bracket would be good.  Thanks a bunch.

gogolen

Quote from: alan6271 on December 12, 2014, 07:21:44 AM

Now that looks cool.

I thought about mounting it under the hood but the cables that are permanently installed in the controller are only about a foot long. 

I like the switch you have.  How did you wire that into the winch?  I only have a wired remote control.

I haven't done it yet.  Here's a good writeup on it, with pictures and everything
http://www.stu-offroad.com/recovery/incab/incab-1.htm

What do you mean it's permanently wired? That makes no sense, so if you burn up 1 wire you have to buy a whole new control pack?  Do you have the vr8000, or the vr8000i? One is contactor controlled the other uses solenoids.

alan6271

I have the VR8000.  The wires go right into the pack.  The only end that you have access to is where you attach the wire to the winch motor.  The other end is not accessible.

gogolen

Ok, the cover should be removable then so you can replace solenoids. Pop the cover replace the short cables with some longer 2 gauge cables and put the box wherever you want to.

Paul Hittie

I have some extra pieces and parts of winch cable in my junk box.  You are more than welcome to scrounge for long enough pieces for your project.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

welderman85

hi alan I just found this post. im a welder by trade I could weld you a bracket up if needed. I cant picture your bumper off hand. my m8000 has a bracket to mount the box ontop of the motor. also while your wiring it up a incab control is kinda cool. I put one in my yj and like it a lot. I didn't use a switch panel. I just bought a switch online and wired it up.

alan6271

Quote from: welderman85 on December 13, 2014, 07:21:01 PM
hi alan I just found this post. im a welder by trade I could weld you a bracket up if needed. I cant picture your bumper off hand. my m8000 has a bracket to mount the box ontop of the motor. also while your wiring it up a incab control is kinda cool. I put one in my yj and like it a lot. I didn't use a switch panel. I just bought a switch online and wired it up.

Hi Brent (Brent right),
Thank you very much.  I had some good advice from Ryan that I followed and now have three 7FT 2 gauge cables so I can mount the controller under the hood.

Of course, as luck would have it for me, I snapped off the head of one of the bolts trying to get my factory bumper off.  Now I can't get the damn thing off.  It's snapped about a quarter of the way down the hole.

Any ideas on how to get that out?

StingRay66

Russ

No God ....................No Peace

Know God ................Know Peace

bullhed78

Soak it in PB Blaster then try drilling and use an easy out.

alan6271

Quote from: bullhed78 on December 14, 2014, 11:58:14 AM
Soak it in PB Blaster then try drilling and use an easy out.

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Thanks for your help guys.  I really appreciate it.

Between the Captain Morgan, PB Blaster, 2 junk drill bits from Harbor Freight, an impact, breaker bar, countless other tools, and more Captain Morgan it finally came out.

All you guys are awesome.  Can't wait to get to know you guys more.