Temp Gauge

Started by Yager, January 05, 2008, 11:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yager

Okay, so, on my way home from the mounds I noticed a few things. Might be mud, might have been a fluke, will update you all tommarow when I go into work. But, when I was on 96S headed home, I was going up hill, and suddenly my power dipped, I couldn't go faster than 55 with the pedal to the floor. Might have been that I'd let the speed drop a little and fifth gear wouldn't cut it up hill, but what started afterwards is what is concerning my. My jeep runs steadilly at about 210 degrees. But then I started getting some fluctuation, 190-230, and it was QUICK, not a slow raise or drop, but seconds. Going to check my fan tomorrow, but I don't think it was the fan. Also going to splurge on a radiator flush. If none of that works I'll replace the thermostat. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and, if so, what takes might you folks have on it.
04 Cherokee Laredo, 95 Wrangler S
mailto:Jammy11b@Gmail.com\">mailto:Jammy11b@Gmail.com

Anonymous

Mounds mud is evil for clogging radiators.  Seeing where you were, I would start with a good cleaning of your radiator fins.  That should prolly do the trick for ya.

Yager

Thanks again Harley.

NewRide

You have a cat on your exhaust ??
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

Yager

Pretty sure I do, but havn't really gotten under there that much to check, and at current it's wet and cold outside. Think it's clogged maybe?

Anonymous

good possibility

94_xj_country

Quote from: "NewRide"You have a cat on your exhaust ??

if so, and theres not a sensor behind it, cut it off
support the sport - http://www.glfwda.org

NewRide

If theres a cat on it and you beat the snot out of it it will clog. You will lose power and it will run hot. Had it happen to me once couldnt figure it out till we put a heat gauge on the exhaust .... It was HOOOOTTTTTTT And like Brian said if theres no o2 sensor behind it cut it off !! Then take your cat to a scrap yard and they will pay you big bucks for them  ::woot::  ::woot::
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."

94_xj_country

Quote from: "NewRide"Then take your cat to a scrap yard and they will pay you big bucks for them  ::woot::  ::woot::

that sucks, i cant tell you how many ive thrown away  :cry:
support the sport - http://www.glfwda.org

NewRide

Keep the cats !! Thems be having platinum in theres   ::gay::

Yager

No kidding. I will have to check that out. And yeah, I think you guys might've got it this time, since the radiator is now cleaned. Will give you an update on it when I get under there this weekend.

Yager

Radiator is clean, no cat, I'm suspecting a sticking thermostat. Figure the loss of the power is the clutch fan turning on and the temp drop is from that.

Yager

Okay, so, I havn't replaced the temp gauge but the heat isn't jumping anymore, but I am still experiencing power loss, more often than not in fifth gear. Can't get over 55mph. It's somewhat intermittent, so I'm not really suspecting an internal engine thing, like piston rings or anything. Any suggestions?

Yager

Quotehttp://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-w ... html/quote]

They're saying timing or spark, I don't know about that, dist cap is new, plugs arn't but it isn't missing or anything.. I have oil in my flexible rubber tubing running from filter box to my throttle body. Don't know if that has anything to do with it. This kind of reaches past my mechanical knowledge of replacing large metal parts that are easy to get to.

Paul Hittie

I had the whole air box fill up with oil on my YJ a couple of times.  That is usually a combination of bad PCV system and ring blow-by.  Actually it isn't a true PCV system, but you know what I mean.  Is your catalytic converter shot?  That might explain the top-end power loss.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance