Forrest clean-up

Started by LPM606, April 21, 2010, 08:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LPM606

Paul, Jonathon, and I joined the two tracker National Forrest clean-up this weekend.  What an eye-opening experience!  We're not talking walking through the woods collecting pop bottles in bag... We were pulling out piles of dumped clothing 3' deep, kids toys, TV's, furniture, about a dozen mattress springs, etc.  Absolutely crazy.  Here are a few pics:

One of the clothing piles.  It's hard to see, but that entire mound is actually clothing...

Here is a broader view of the piles of trash all over...

We had several bobcats to do the heavy lifting...

Unloading at the dumpster.

Filling the dumpster.  133 volunteers filled 5.5 30 yard dumpsters in about 5 hours!

Over 1200 tires were collected.  In this pic, you see a 28' box truck just about full and the overflow that was loaded onto additional trailers.

4x4x4JK

People are such pigs.  Unbelievebale how much trash was in sucha relatively small area I assume.

Paul Hittie

I have been participating in this event for the last few years - this is by far the nastiest, most concentrated dumping area I have been assigned to.  Some of this stuff was there a long long time, it's like an archeological dig - newer piles on top of older piles.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

naypalm

That's a lot of old tires!!!!! Glad you guys could make it, How was the Quarterly meeting?

NewRide

That's alot of crap !! Can't believe how some ppl think its ok to just dump stuff wherever they want !
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

Paul Hittie

Quarterly was good - I left my GLFWDA folder at home today, I'll post a summary/notes later on tonight.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance