Paul & Jonathon's June 2010 trip log

Started by Paul Hittie, June 16, 2010, 12:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hittie

Rode the trail system on Drummond Island most of the day Saturday - small group of Carl (H3), Pat B (XJ), Doug (WJ), Bill (JK4Dr) and us.  Got to see a lot of the trail system including a number of spots we didn't get to (or were not allowed to) in 2006.  We had a ton of rain Friday night, but even Connor's Hole was manageable.  Dipstick hole was not passable but I gather it rarely is.

Got to meet Steve Walker in person finally, had breakfast at the Bear Track Inn.  We had been extended an offer to camp at Pat Kelly's new campground, but they were still working on it and we would have been the only ones there, so we opted for the nearby Wa Wen Resort.  Great place to stay (they have cabins too) and really nice amenities - pool, canoes to borrow, fishing boats to rent, power washer, compressor and fortunately a shop with welding gear if you break your hitch/bumper.

Started to notice some odd noises after Marble Head.  By the time we got to Traverse City there was obviously something wrong, so I took it to a repair garage this morning.  Diagnosis is a dead Aussie.  I packed lots of spare parts but not my original side gears and spider gears.  Tim Tull (GLFWDA member, from the Venture Offroad Video collection) found me a set in his garage tonight.  Still attached to the carrier, but dug them out tonight under the camper awning listening to the rain.  Tomorrow I will pull the front shafts and see if the noise goes away, and if we have time we can pull the carrier and reinstall open diff gears so we at least have partial 4wd for Canada at the end of the week.

AGM is going well - if we had planned ahead we could have sent me as an official WLB delegate to get an extra vote but I think all of the delegates and other members in attendance are in general agreement about what we want to get done.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

NewRide

Sounds like a normal trip so far lol . Would have loved to have gone ... but that whole work thing gets in the way !! Have fun take lots of pictures !!
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

Nosilla

Sounds like alot of fun. FYI remember my ordeal. Don't drive very far without the front shafts.

Have fun and be safe out there.

::Jeep::

Paul Hittie

We will keep the stub shafts securely bolted Neil, your ordeal is something that I think of every time I turn a wrench on my Jeep.

4x4x4JK

I am heading to Drummond in the morning.  Hope to check out some of the new trails.

Paul Hittie

Say HI to Pat B, Mike O and Mark B when you get up there.

Paul Hittie

So we made it 2wd for the trip to Canada, but still have noises from underneath - I am assuming bad driveshaft u-joints (again) since it is accompanied by a new vibration.  

Our trip to the Tribag Mine, Batchawana River falls and Chippewa River falls was great - made it through in 2wd, although in a couple of spots we cheated and used 2lo.  The second day the group headed for rockier terrain, so we went sightseeing.  FYI, Ontario will not sell a 1-day fishing license to a foreigner, we tried and were denied, hence the sightseeing trip.

If you have never visited the north shore of Lake Superior, you need to make the trip.  The scenery is fantastic, with rocky cliffs extending straight up from the shoreline in spots.  Jonathon was impressed with Ontario's mountains.

NewRide

This thread is useless with out pictures !! ::poke::  ::poke::  ::poke::
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."

Paul Hittie

NewRide

Looks like a great time was had by all !!!  ::woot::  ::woot::

Paul Hittie

OK I think I wish it was the Aussie......

I replaced the drive shaft u-joints today, no more popping or vibes.  I started working on the front axle this afternoon, I thought the pinion seal needed to be replaced but it looks like the pinion bearing is done, nice thin layer of metal shavings coating everything.  All 4 pins are still in place on the aussie, it should be OK.  A rebuild is in the future, just trying to figure out if now is the time to swap gears too but that means a second rebuild kit, more labor and a D44 carrier.  $600 to fix it, $1900 to do it right w/locker in the rear.

Hhhhmmmm......

Paul Hittie

....or just buy a whole replacement axle for $400, already geared 3.73, swap in my shafts, unit bearings and brakes since they are all new/recent, and part out the one with the bad pinion bearings and the extra stuff left over.

Good thing my wife has a sense of humor.

jeepfan1974

well it will cost you more if you have to go back and change it all later right ?
Let\'s go wheeling!

Paul Hittie

Yes - but not sure it will be in the driveway long enough to worry about it.  I have been thinking about selling it and getting a fuel-efficient car.  

DOn't worry, we will still have the JK - can't get rid of me that easily!

LPM606

But the JK isn't allowed to get scratched, right?  That would put some limits on what you can do, eh?

Pictures from up north look awesome.  I sooo want to do a canada run like that.