Wanted - 12 or 20ga to borrow or buy?

Started by Paul Hittie, March 13, 2012, 12:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hittie

Jonathon and I are successful applicants in the 2012 Michigan Spring Turkey Lottery.  I only own one shotgun.  Anyone have a 12ga or 20ga that I can either borrow or buy?

Jonathon and I made a trip to the range to pattern my shotgun in preparation of our first ever turkey season.  The weather was nice, and there was a line at the patterning board so we moved down to the 50yrd range to run some rounds through his brand new Merlin .22.  Unfortunately, it is going in for warranty work before the first round has been fired.  So we decided to run some slugs through my 12ga to get the sights set.  After 4 rounds, he decided he was ready for some trigger time.  He gave it back after one shot; he has decided if he is hunting turkey with a 12 ga he needs to get it right on the first shot, not much interest in firing a second!
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

StingRay66

Yeaq I got both you can try both see which you want to use. PM SENT
Russ

No God ....................No Peace

Know God ................Know Peace

NewRide

Congrats !!! I have a Remington 870 express 12 ga if need be ...
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

Paul Hittie

I didn't get your PM Russ, but if you have a 20ga I think that would be a better choice than a 12ga.  I think we would be better with something that he could spend some time getting comfortable with.  I think I have your phone number in an old e-mail, I'll give you a call this evening.

StingRay66

when you going hunting? I'll be out of town this weekend but next might be a good time to get together.
Russ

Paul Hittie

Sorry I didn't call Russ, busier than a one-armed paper hanger at work right now.  We drew tags for 4/30-5/6.  Next weekend would be great.

Paul Hittie

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions as we prepare for our first ever turkey hunt.  We are heading up to Roscommon next weekend to go get us a bird or two.  I took Jonathon over to Williams Gunsight yesterday to let him get a feel for the two shotguns Russ loaned to us and try to figure out which one to use.  To keep it simple, we used 2.75" #4 in everything, and to my surprise Jonathon is going to carry the 12ga.  Bigger, heavier gun with a ported barrel felt just like the smaller, lighter 20ga after a few rounds through each and he decided since he is new to this, he would opt for more firepower.  I don't think he realizes how heavy that thing is going to be to carry in an out of the woods yet.  Ed hooked us up with both a box call and a slate since I have not yet figured out the mouth calls, and I think Jonathon has found his new favorite hunting tool in that slate call.

ouchman

good luck, this is what i have seen, just havent been able to get the toms to come in.

the last two were taken this morning.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

COF radio http:// 216.59.4.130:8014/listen.pls  http://xat.com/chat/room/85630064/

Paul Hittie

It's his first time out with a gun in his hand so a flock we can see, or even a tom that will gobble back, will be a plus.  We sat alongside the road a few weeks back for over half an hour watching a flock move across a field, then eventually fly across the road one at a time.  He was picking out the toms, sizing up their beards and watching how they move. 

StingRay66

Quote from: phittie1100 on April 30, 2012, 12:27:51 PM
Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions as we prepare for our first ever turkey hunt.  We are heading up to Roscommon next weekend to go get us a bird or two.  I took Jonathon over to Williams Gunsight yesterday to let him get a feel for the two shotguns Russ loaned to us and try to figure out which one to use.  To keep it simple, we used 2.75" #4 in everything, and to my surprise Jonathon is going to carry the 12ga.  Bigger, heavier gun with a ported barrel felt just like the smaller, lighter 20ga after a few rounds through each and he decided since he is new to this, he would opt for more firepower.  I don't think he realizes how heavy that thing is going to be to carry in an out of the woods yet.  Ed hooked us up with both a box call and a slate since I have not yet figured out the mouth calls, and I think Jonathon has found his new favorite hunting tool in that slate call.

Good Luck to both of ya I just thought I have a prop stick I bought last year but haven't used yet. It might be a idea to find a Y-stick for Jonathon, if he has to hold it up very long it will get heavy
Russ

Paul Hittie

I've got a set of shooting sticks for him, and a sling to carry that bazooka.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2