"LunchBox Lockers

Started by StingRay66, February 18, 2015, 08:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StingRay66

Tell me what brand lunch box locker you are running and why you picked it.
Russ

No God ....................No Peace

Know God ................Know Peace

LPM606

I have the spartan lunch box in the front of mine... I was told when shopping that it basically the same set up as the more popular Aussie brand, but the teeth are actually a bit deeper and its few bucks cheaper. It made an enormous difference in the capability of the jeep. Had it in for 5+ years now and no complaints... Last year when I snapped my long side axle shaft the locker was fine.  When we took it out to replace the carrier (which was damaged) we saw that the center pin had a few slightly flattened spots in it... Jared said it looked fine to keep using, but as long as we had it out I ordered the rebuild kit that came with new springs and pins.

Paul Hittie

Mine is an Aussie, bought for all the same reasons Ed mentioned for his Spartan, but the Spartan was pretty new and untested when I bought my first one back in 2008.  Do not buy into the "you will never notice it on the road" thing, that is a statement made by people who do not drive on the street in the winter time.  Not a control problem, but a whole lot of banging and clanking when braking on mixed surfaces (slippery one side, dry on the other).

I ran mine for 60,000 road miles and numerous weekends in the dirt.  When I replaced the front axle I swapped the Aussie over to the new axle after several e-mail exchanges with the Aussie engineers.  Mine was still within spec, only a couple of teeth showed a slight bit of wear, and I swapped the pins end for end to get good square pins for engagement.  Drove it until my accident that way, almost 90,000 road miles on it.

My D30 Aussie for the orange LJ actually arrived at my house 3 days before the Jeep did, I ordered it before actually purchasing the Jeep.  That is how useful a lunchbox locker is, and you can install it in the driveway in a couple of hours.  That said, my next big investment will be in the form of gears, shafts and full case, select-able lockers F&R.  There are some places where an off switch would be welcome, like side hills on sloppy stuff.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

LPM606

Paul takes selectable front & rear for the win!

J's Jeep

Russ,
I reviewed the threads and links below when I was in the market for a front locker.
In addition, when I was stuck on some big tires at the the Jeep Blessing last year a guy from the Cadillac Jeepers told me to "get a Detroit True Trac, that was the only way to go".  So I researched it and as you know, Jane drives her Jeep short distances to work everyday(except in the winter) and I didn't want a ratcheting lunchbox style and I didn't want the expense of an air or electric locker(additional things to have go wrong). So the Detroit True Trac seemed like the best answer as we are not serious rock crawlers but wanted to lock the front end for the additional traction on hills, mud, whatever.  I also talked to Dale at Ironman Offroad at the Dixie Gully Run and he also thought it was a good option for our needs.  I have only used it up at Grayling in December since it was installed but we were going up hills the first time that were challenging in previous trips in the fall.  It is all gear driven, limited slip, you don't even notice it on the road, which was important to me.  So that's my 2 cents worth.  Everybody has their opinion.  It also only cost me about $375 through 4WD.com with our club discount(a little more than a lunchbox but considerably cheaper than an air or electrically activated lockers).

Jim

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f249/detroit-truetrac-771841/

http://www.offroaders.com/reviewbox/showproduct.php?product=252

http://www.jeepreviews.com/jeep-parts-reviews/385/detroit-truetrac-limited-slip/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IA9DVnkIaI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZmsY2YvVsc

OzzysCJ

I ran the tru-trac in the front of my cj for years before adding the Detroit in the rear.  Loved it.  Got in and out of trouble plenty of times with it.  As jim said it is more limited slip but it did the trick for me.  And the tru-trac didn't jump/buck/pop when turning tight.  Just my 0.02

welderman85

I run an aussie in the front of my yj and a factory limited slip in the rear 8.8. it works pretty good so far. The reason I went with the lunch box over something different is I was in a hurry to finish part one of my build so I could go play. I have a dana 44 for when I go spring over then I will go with a ox locker for the front. the aussie was cheap and easy to install. I went with that brand because I read a bunch of good stuff about them on jeep fourm. They do make some noise and let you know its there but I have no complaints. Also my jeep is just a toy so road manners didn't really matter to me. I don't know if I would want to try and run this set up in the snow in 4x4 down the highway but for around town and to the trails it works. If it was a daily or something I drove a lot year round I would have gone with the tru trac I have read a lot of good things about them.