New Guy from Adrian/Lenawee County!

Started by 93formulalt1, October 14, 2008, 02:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

93formulalt1

Hello everyone!  I found this link over on JeepForum.com, and followed it over.  I know I have had problems finding places to wheel in the past, so now that shouldn't be as much of a problem. . .

I'm Nick, I'm 20 years old and a Junior in College, majoring in Criminal Justice.  I currently drive a '93 Pontiac Formula LT1, and Thursday afternoon, my new DD is being delivered.  It's a 1988 Jeep Wrangler YJ with a 2.5 liter 4-banger and a 5 speed, and 41,000 original miles.  It's being trailered up from Toledo.  I should have plates and insurance on it later that same day, and I will be tearing into the body work (it has some rust that needs attention) before the weekend hits, as well as installing the first stereo this poor Wrangler has ever seen.

I'll post pics when it gets here, and I hope to meet some new people and learn some new things here!

Thanks in advance for the welcome!

Nick

NewRide

Welcome aboard Nick !! First off .... forget the stereo lol you can't hear it anyways at 60 mph with the top off
Tony
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

LPM606

Welcome to the forum!  We have been trying to coordinate a fairly regular calendar so we have at least one club wheeling event every month - should be plenty of chances to get the new Jeep off-pavement!  Come check us at our meeting - first Sunday of every month 6:00pm at the Eagles club in Davison.  It will give you a chance to meet people from the club and hear what we're all about.

naypalm

Welcome to the site! Grats on the yj!

93formulalt1

Thanks guys!  BTW, as a music minor, there's NO way I'm going to forget about the stereo. . . I don't drive on the highway anyway, I live, work, and go to school in the same town, so the Jeep is doomed to a life in which it will only ever see about 40mph everyday, with a stint on the highway maybe once every 1-2 weeks.

Any suggestions as to what I should do to the Jeep first?  It's coming with half doors and a full soft top and a Bestop Bikini Top, both of which are in like new condition.  The Jeep is 2-tone Red with Rust as the secondary color.  That shouldn't last long, though. . . I'm hoping to find some decent red Tractor Enamel, since that paint is tough as nails.  I was also thinking of changing the exterior color to something brighter, since I volunteer with the Civil Air Patrol, and I'm an active SAR volunteer and outdoorsman.  I was considering Kubota Orange, in a glossy enamel, since it is a very nice color and it's nearly impossible to damage that paint.  Plus, my first car (that I paid for) was an orange and black '94 Chevy Camaro, so that color combo kind of has a sentimental meaning to me.  

If anyone lives in/around Adrian and knows of good places to wheel or just have some fun, let me know, I couldn't find anywhere to take my lifted Sonoma off-road, let alone the Jeep.

NewRide

First thing to worry about would be a lift and tires ... get a little ground clearance . ::Jeep::
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."

dbikers

hi Nick....
Welcome to our board.  
As far as yer new DD...what are your plans, how do you want to use your jeep, and what build plans do you have?
What size tires on it?  33's are a good size to get your ground clearance..need a little lift to get 'em to fit....you could rid your jeep of the of the trac bars and probably be a lot happier off road with your sway bars disconnected.
Yer stock gearing should be 4.10's (will be a bit of a dog on the highway but pretty descent in 4L)...could maybe use a 4.0 throttle body (neil, cody, help me out with the 2.5 lingo, lol)
A couple of us have a "lunchbox" aussie lockers up front in our D30s which is an easy, affordable upgrade
Heck, the sky really is the limit Nick, Just Empty Every Pocket

Oh, by the way, this saturday we are headed up north (west branch area) for our color tour  
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=998&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Consider this an invitation.
We are going to meet in the walmart parking lot (west branch) at 10am and hit the trails from there.  We normally have several families (typically 8-10 rigs) that go up there and we always have a good time....
Most (if not all) of us stop and have dinner and then a nice ride home that evening.

If you think yer new jeep will make it bring it (though may not be the smartest thing to do).  But if not we'd let you bring your sonoma for a fun afternoon.

If you're wanting to go pm either nosilla or myself.
Again Nick, nice to see you found WLB.
Be careful about reading health books.  You may die of a misprint.
             -- Mark Twain

Nosilla

The 4.0 throttle body was a big help. My 2.5 has gone places 4.0 and 4.2 haven't ( Right John )?!?

dbikers

Quote from: "Nosilla"The 4.0 throttle body was a big help. My 2.5 has gone places 4.0 and 4.2 haven't ( Right John )?!?
definately keeps the wheels spinnin and the air movin'
Be careful about reading health books.  You may die of a misprint.
             -- Mark Twain

TechJeeper

Quote from: "Nosilla"The 4.0 throttle body was a big help. My 2.5 has gone places 4.0 and 4.2 haven't ( Right John )?!?

x2 but i think that was maybe because i like the skinny pedal and im not afraid of the rev limiter  ::poke::

Anonymous

Have I been there???

Anonymous

hiya, Nick!  One of my college roomies grew up and still lives in Adrian.

I don't know crap about Jeeps (other than Y"gays" are Gay.... :mrgreen: )

Just kidding!  Welcome to the Board.

jeepfan1974

dont mind her she drives a suburban and she has owned a h2  :D  ::poke::  ::poke::      i  am pretty sure a 88 yj has the old style fuel injection guys the renix type  so a throttle body swap wont work    go with the lift and tires    you dont need much just a couple inches mine had a 2 inch lift for 3 years and i wheeled quite a bit and 31's will clear really nicely
Let\'s go wheeling!

Anonymous

She has never owned an H2  ::trout::

NewRide

Thats a good story go with it ...... ::poke::