Loose steering

Started by OzzysCJ, June 24, 2017, 09:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OzzysCJ

Anybody familiar with the old CJ style Saginaw steering gearboxes?  My steering has grown increasingly sloppy and Russ mentioned possibly an adjustment rather than replacement.  Can they be rebuilt or am I looking at a replacement? Any suggestions? [emoji15]

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Ken

First make sure it is not loose on the frame.  There should be a nut with an allen screw in it on your steering box, usually on the top.  Loosen the nut and tighten the allen screw.  Do not over tighten, it can make your steering to hard to turn.   Turn it in about one half turn at a time and try it.  If it get where it is good in the center but too tight when you turn the wheel a ways, then the gears are worn inside.  There is also a nut on the input of the box that may be loose.
Ken

2014 Copper Head Jeep JK Willys Wheeler with 3 inch lift, Front E-locker, Rear Limited Slip.
Warn Wench and Bumpers. 315 tires.

OzzysCJ

Any recommendations on manufacturer...  4wd hardware carries "new" ones from crown.  They seem to range from $400 to $600...  AutoZone has remanufactured ones...  can they be trusted?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

StingRay66

Rockauto.com has one new if I picked the correct model Jeep

LARES 11034 New Manual Gear Info 
$190.79
Russ

No God ....................No Peace

Know God ................Know Peace