St Helen Rocks October 30

Started by Paul Hittie, October 21, 2010, 07:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hittie

I am heading up to see the new rocks and play for a while, anyone wanna tag along?
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

LPM606

I am in! What time are you thinking?  Not leaving at the crack of dawn, I hope?

jeepfan1974

i would love too but i have to pick up my folks at the airport that night
Let\'s go wheeling!

Paul Hittie

Breakfast at the Peach Pit in St Helen 9am!

LPM606

Ugg! I may be in ruff shape, but I'll be there...

Herezja

Wish I could join you guys, but I have to pick up Melissa at the airport.

Paul Hittie

Good news...and bad news.  The State has reviewed their expenditures to date for this project and found some extra money.  They are going to tweak the courses some and add a few more enhancements.  The downside is the courses will not be complete (and all of the heavy equipment removed) for another couple of weeks.

We could run up for a look-see then shoot over to R&V for their last weekend of the season?  Or go hang with the SoFO gang while they pre-run some SnoFari trails and do some exploring looking for new trails for their ever-growing event?

Paul Hittie

I got a sneak peak at the project today and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised.  I ran the two "stocker" courses - until they settle in some, your "stocker" better be nicely equipped and have all of the important stuff underneath proprly protected.  I made it through both fairly cleanly one way but got hung up on my belly running one backwards.  the others will challenge those on at least 35's.  The cement pipe run was still under construction, but the workers gladly moved their equipment and grabbed their cameras to watch Kitson try the partially completed section.  They will add some filler rocks in the next few days based on Kitson's feedback - he couldn't make it up despite 6.0L/40s/1 ton axles.  Paige from DNR was there to see what a stockish Jeep could accomplish, along with a guy from the local paper taking pictures for a story.

LPM606

Sucks that it will not be open for saturday...but sounds pretty cool.  I would do either alternate plan depeneding on what anyone else is up for...

Paul Hittie

Late Thursday news flash - Pete from Pete's Construction told Pat K they will be done today and we can play tomorrow..  If anyone besides Ed is interested give me a call, Ed and I will be chatting later to finalize The Plan.

Paul Hittie

Good time yesterday - the long course looks like a nut-buster - we watched Steve from TCT take over 20 minutes to make it to the top running 35s and locked in the front.  The costruction guys were back onsite, after watching me get hung up on "the bunny hill" Thursday they rearranged a couple rocks at one end to make it more accessible for stockers.  The "C" course that I conquered Thursday seems to be getting tougher as smaller fill rocks get kicked out by spinning tires.  We stayed too long to make a run to R&V worth the trouble, we stayed in the St Helen area all day.  Left my camera home again, have to wait for Ed to post some pictures.

LPM606

Rocks were pretty challenging.  Even the "bunny course" was getting some people stuck to the point of needing a strap pull off the rocks.  Some of the more challenging hills we saw a few rigs on Really Big tires (maybe 40's) that didn't have any trouble but everyone on more reasonable tires definitely had their problems and needed an occasional rock thrown down under a tire, etc.  I have to say though that between some really fun ORV Routes, a couple of big sandy scramble areas and hills, and now the rocks this is a great place to go play for a day tripper or even maybe an overnighter.  We should go more often.  Here are a few picks:

This is Steve on the 100' run Paul mentioned:

Paul on the "bunny course":

Ed on the "bunny course"

Ed at the bottom of one of the Hills:

Ed getting stuck at the top of the hill: