Death Wobble

Started by Paul Hittie, September 11, 2007, 10:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hittie

OK I have heard the term before but not really sure what it means?  Does it mean a series of vibrations so bad that it feels like your fillings will come out of your teeth?  The front end shaking so bad that you can't grab the turn signal lever?  The front wheels rapidly hammering back and forth 15-20 degrees of center faster than you could possible make them do it by turning the steering wheel?  'Cause that's what the LJ is doing.  I just want to know if I am calling it the right thing, or if this is something much more sinister....
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

94_xj_country

this is EXACTLY what mine was. i gonna say tie rods, or unbalanced tires. your steering dampener is probably blown too
support the sport - http://www.glfwda.org

Mudviper

Yes death wobble is a fun thing to play around with. Think I finally got mine under control for the moment. There is a place in Pontiac that from what I am told is really good at dealing with and taking care of the death wobble problem. Will have to find there name.

Paul Hittie

Took it back in again this morning.  Going to try a smaller steering dampner, none of this happened before I installed that humongous OME stabilizer.  They are thinking maybe the power steering and the stabilizer are having a turf war, and the stabilizer is the cheapest part to replace.

GOT ROCKS

That is exactly what "Death Wobble" is.

If you just replaced the dampener with an OME this may have helped but may have also made the parts that were already damaged act worse.

2 Track Minds Offroad (810) 955-8000 can help you to deal with this problem as well.

It could be a multitude of parts that are worn that cause this problem.

I hope you get it under control.  Keep us posted.

Anthony
RHINO ZJ:
//http://www.rhinozj.com
I <3 my Bacon Pockets!

Paul Hittie

Stupid track bar bolt at the frame end was fubar.  They gave it one more hard look before replacing parts and found a stripped bolt.  He thought it was odd with only 43k miles, but I didn't tell him about my wife's fondness for catching air at Silver Lake.   ;)

Hit every bump I could on the way back to the office, so far so good.  Thanks for the offer Anthony, but I would have needed a wrecker to get it that far.  30mph was about the best it would do.

Mudviper

Glad you where able to figure it out. I still have death wobble problems when I run my bias ply tires.

GOT ROCKS

Like I suggested.  Replacing the dampener with an OME sometimes causes another problem to rear it's ugly head.

I am glad to hear that you got it taken care of.

Anthony
RHINO ZJ:
//http://www.rhinozj.com
I <3 my Bacon Pockets!

astrogiblet

Well.. death Wobble is different for everyone.. For Cody his front end was literally bobbing up and down like 6 inches.. until he came to a complete stop..

But that was kinda severe!

(Don't mean to sound like I'm ragging on Cody, he just got a severe case of Death Wobble).

-Brandon