Helping Out a Veteran

Started by Anonymous, October 13, 2008, 05:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

I'm sure some of you remember when Brendan collected food for veterans at his birthday party.  As a result of this process, we have befriended a homeless Veteran who was overcome by the generosity of Brendan and his friends.  We have met him at the VA hospital in Saginaw, where he is working with a VA Job Coordinator and has secured two part time jobs, is in final consideration for a full time job, and is in the final stages of moving into an apartment at the end of October.  This is a well-educated man who gave up a lot in a divorce to ensure his ex-wife wouldn't be homeless as well; has been mugged and lost what little he had; but still continues to move forward.  From what we have been told from him and those working with him, he isn't some skid row dude who can't seem to get his crap together; he is very motivated to get back on his feet and was exceptionally well kempt on the day we met him.  

Brendan and I continue to email back and forth with him, and I got to thinking about all the extra things I have that I don't use (like kitchen utensils, towels, etc.) We are going to donate those things to him to help him get started, and I wondered if others had stuff around their houses that they no longer need, haven't taken the time or wanted to gather it for a rummage sale or to donate to Good Will, and would be willing to donate to "Bruce" to help him continue in the right direction.

Anyway, I figured it would be worth putting out there to see if you might have some things you would be willing to see go to a new home.  I'm sure anything you have would be greatly appreciated--right now he owns one duffle bag that was donated by the Davison VFW, two pairs of shoes, one of which was also donated by the Davison VFW, a few changes of clothes, and whatever else he is able to literally carry with him as he is not able to leave anything at the shelter when he leaves for work each day.

Let me know, and I will be willing to pick it up or whatever.  Thanks again for considering this.  This makes me feel great in two ways---I can clean out my storage area of stuff we don't use and our kids get to see need first hand and understand why it is so important that we continue to "Pay It Forward" when ever we can.

NewRide

What are you looking for as of right now ?? Is he still in the shelter or has he moved forward to an apartment yet ? I'm sure we can find somethings here to give. What are his sizes {i.e. shirts , shoes , pants } ??
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

jeepgirl95

We would love to help, I will take a look around the house and in the attic.  If you have any specific suggestions let me know.

Paul Hittie

I've got some things I can get to you
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

longarm

We can put some stuff together.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I do not wish for my enemies to be brought to justice, I instead would like to see justice brought to my enemies..."

Anonymous

Thanks so much, everyone!  It is my understanding that he will moving into his apartment around the end of the month.  

I guess I'm looking for about anything that you think would be helpful.  I have a microwave, a set of dishes, and some pots and pans along with some towels and blankets.

A toaster, coffee maker or coffee pot, silverware, furniture (yeah, I know that's a HUGE request, but what the heck, maybe someone has stuff they would love to get rid of?), lamps, etc. etc. etc.  

I will have to check on sizes for clothes.  From what I recall, he is somewhat tall with a smaller frame.  I'll ask him if he is willing to give me size information and will pass that on as well.

I would also love to help stock his cabinets as well with some staples, like sugar, flour, salt, pepper, cooking oil, paper products, cleaning supplies, etc.  The stuff that adds up once you go to buy it starting out, but will last you a while once you have it.

Thanks again, everyone!  I really do appreciate it as I'm sure he will as well.

Anonymous

I just got an email back from Bruce regarding clothing sizes, and I wanted to post a bit of it just to give you an idea of how the donations are impacting him.  Thank you again for considering it, and let me know if you have something you would like me to pick up.  

"Any assistance I receive in the now, I will gladly pass on to another down the road, I believe that's the way it's supposed to work, each one reach one! My clothing sizes are as follows, tops XL, pants 34x32, shoe size 11-1/2.

You folks have no idea how fortunate, and blessed I feel by your generosity, and kindness. I'm sooo...glad that no one else is here in this room to see my face at this moment, I know there's no crime in crying, but jeez. The things that people take for granted now simply amazes me.  It feels so very good to smile again Melissa, I humbly thank you, and your entire family for your simple kindness toward me. God Bless You All"

Anonymous

Well, Bruce hopes to be moving in on Halloween day.  I don't think we will get up there to bring furniture until the following weekend, but I would like to take any small stuff to him that weekend if it works out.

Thank you again for anything you have to donate.  Please let me know if we need to make arrangements to pick it up from you. You guys and gals are just the best and it makes me feel really great that we are able to help someone get started on the right foot!

Anonymous

Bumpity Bump Bump Bump for Veteran's Day and as a (not so) subtle reminder that we are still helping Brendan and Sophia to Pay it Forward.

It is our understanding that Bruce will be in his own dwelling by Turkey Day, but we are unsure of the exact date.  Once we know we will post it, and anyone who is willing to help us move things is more than welcome to help out.  We have been saving our bottle deposits so we can order pizza on his "house warming."  Not sure how much we will have (I think we have something like $20) but anyone who helps will be more than welcome to be involved in the party.

I will post when he is moving, and when we plan to head to Saginaw to drop things off.  Right now if anyone has a trailer we can use to haul a washer, dryer. couch, etc., that would be awesome as this is something that we are looking for.  If you have anything to donate (immediate WANTS [because of the incredible generosity of folks, we have moved from NEEDS to WANTS] are a toaster, a mattress. linens, bicycle, car (DREAM BIG, PEOPLE!), gift cards to Wal Mart for ongoing perishable items or hygiene, heavy gloves or mittens, etc.

Again, I thank you for your consideration and generosity.  Chris and I could never teach our children the true meaning of Pay it Forward without your help and support.

Paul Hittie

I have a NIB toaster.

My POS utility trailer is roadworthy, tie downs, 1 7/8" ball.

Anonymous

awesome, Paul.  Thanks tons and I'll get in touch with you when we are headed up!

Paul Hittie

If he is moving Sat/Sun I can help, but tied up Thur/Fr

Anonymous

I still haven't heard back when he thinks he'll be moving.  I'll keep ya posted, though!

NewRide

Not really sure when you need the help but I have my trailer and a few things here  ::woot::  I'm also off for the next 3 weeks .....  ::trout::  and I'm not doing anything other than going up hunting for opening weekend. So let me know.
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)