Help! Rear sway bar mounts torn from axle.

Started by JG64, May 16, 2010, 09:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JG64

So, my '94 Wrangler decided it would be fun to have the left rear sway bar mount brackes tear apart, near the top, from the axle.
Two questions.  Is this repairable - new supports created and welded to axle with eith old or new sway bar re-attached?  
And if so, any recommendation in/around the Royal Oak area?
Thanks for helping a newbie.
JG64

jeepfan1974

rear sway bar isnt needed on a 94 yj i have a 91 yj and diddnt have one from the factory i would remove all the rear swaybar crap and the rear track bar check out square problems in the april 2010 issiue of jp magazine it will help explain
Let\'s go wheeling!

NewRide

Whats a Track bar ? Whats that ?? Oh yea ... I remember now ... That's that useless piece I took off the front and back axle and pitched in the trash ... If your axle isn't leaking don't worry about it leave the track bar off .
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

ricochet1987

eh i dont even have my sway bars connected on mine lmao
J.E.E.P= Just Each and Every Paycheck!!!

Paul Hittie

Eliminating the F&R tracks bars was my favorite no-cost mod on my YJ.  You lose some of that sportscar-like handling, but it makes for a softer ride and more flex on the trail.  

If you don't like the way it handles on the street, you will need a good frame and axle shop to weld on a new bracket - John R Spring if they are still around (15 Mile and Dequindre) or the truck place over on 11 Mile b/w John R & Dequindre would be good places to start - can't remember the name, been a while since I lived down that way (13 & Main as a kid, 9 and Hilton was where I bought my first house).

But I vote for just taking it off at the frame end and calling it done.  The rear track bar does the least, should not affect your on-road feel much.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

JG64

Thanks all!  Have a connection for the 15 and DQ shop myself, so will likely investigate there.  Not so hands on....but luckily others are.  Appreciate the opinions and assistance.  Safe travels.
JG64