Expensive evening

Started by Paul Hittie, February 18, 2011, 09:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hittie

No it was not Jeep-related.  Deb got home from work yesterday afternoon to find several inches of standing water in the basement.  When the weather started warming up we discovered that our sump discharge line was frozen, so we temporarily rerouted it to the sink with a garden hose, but things thawed quickly and things have been working well for several days so I was a bit confused.  When I got home last night, not only was there water, but a thin sheen of oil on top of the water.  So I went to the garage to get my handy utility pump so I could get the water down far enought to work on the sump pump.  The utility pump was acting up some last fall, and apparently did not survive the winter.  $109 trip to Home Depot.  Back home, I got the water pumper down with my new utility pump, and pulled the sump pump from the pit.  Apparently, the bearing let go allowing the oil-filled motor to puke out the oil.  $196 trip to Home Depot for a new sump pump.  Fimally got everything installed, pumping the way it should, but now the cleanup.  $Cost?  Unknown, but it ain't going to be fun.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

LPM606

That absolutely sucks.  My house growing up would flood in the basement all the time and it is a major area of paranoia for me now.  If you basement is finished at all, you probably want to get servepro or one of those companies to come in and do the clan-up/dry-out to make sure you don't have issues with mold & such... Probably not cheap, but worth it.  I have seen those services have 70,000 sq ft retail stores that had 4" of standing water back open for business within 12 hours...

NewRide

That sucks !!!And not in a good way !! You need to get some sort of fans down there as soon as possible to help dry things out . If not mold is your new friend ! Let me know if you need a hand .
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)