HELP KEEP THE HURON MANISTEE NATIONAL FORESTS

Started by Herezja, February 09, 2011, 08:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herezja

Moolenaar begins petition drive opposing proposed changes to Huron-Manistee forest use management plan
Friday, February 04, 2011

LANSING – State Sen. John Moolenaar said today that he opposes a proposed land and resource management plan that would ban firearm and snowmobile use within certain areas of the Huron-Manistee National Forests.

"Communities throughout this region have come to rely upon the existing recreational attractions offered within the forests," said Moolenaar, R-Midland.  "Any limitations or restrictions would greatly impact area residents, tourists and local economies at a time when Michigan cannot afford to restrain growth and development opportunities."

Moolenaar is collecting signatures for an online petition to oppose the plan being considered by the Huron-Manistee National Forests.  To sign the petition, please go to http://www.SenatorJohnMoolenaar.com.

"My office has been inundated with calls, e-mails and letters from concerned residents that oppose the changes," Moolenaar said.  "Hundreds of people have attended area meetings and have expressed their disagreement with this concept.

"These forests have served as a staple for countless rural communities in the 36th Senate District by providing the means for commerce and tourism. I join with community leaders and local residents in standing against this unnecessary change."

Here is the letter between John Moolenaar and Huron Manistee National Forests:
//www.senate.michigan.gov/gop/senators/moolenaar/20110203_Moolenaar_HuronManisteeLetter.pdf

And here is the petition if you would like to sign up:
//www.senate.michigan.gov/gop/senators/moolenaar/petition.asp

naypalm

signed  ::woot::

derrick.wheelock

signed!!! ::woot::  ::woot::  ::woot::  ::woot::  ::woot::

LPM606

I signed it as well.  I heard about this on Michigan Radion this fall - this one guy who is an attorney represented himself in a lawsuit and is forcing an entire re-evaluation of the forrest plan.  His comments were received during the public comment period for considering the forrest use plan and the Forrest Service person interviewed for the story said this was the one comment among thousands that indicated a need for "quiet zones" so they did not feel it needed to be part of the plan.  On the one hand it is kinda crappy that one dude can screw the whole works over, but on the other hand, it is the ultimate proof that the rule of law prevails in this country.

whalendm

signed  ::woot::