Axle Improvements

Started by LPM606, February 16, 2013, 03:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LPM606

I have been giving some serious thought to beefing up the Dana 30 in the JK... Everything I read says this is the weak spot on the JK.  One of the things I was looking at was these inner sleeves, that claim to improve the strength of the axle housing by 60%. 

http://www.rockridge4wd.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RR%2DJK%2DSLEEVE%2DKIT

For only $125, it seems like a pretty decent option to upgrade and unlike many of the sleeve kits that require drilling and plug welding on the axle housing, these are a hammer-in prodcut.  The only hitch is, it requires a Bearing Race Driver Set to do the hammering.  That is not something I ever heard of let alone own one... Does anybody in the club have this tool? 

I also picked up a set of weld-on upper and lower C gussets from JKS.  Once I scrape together the funds for the Inner sleeve, perhaps we could have a wrenchfest to complete both axle projects... The sleeves don't look too difficult, other than you basically have to disassemble everything and then put it all back totgether... But I'm sure that is no problem for this group.  Would anybody be up for welding on the C gussets? They look like this:

Paul Hittie

My 110v welder does not have the horsepower to weld those gussets, need to find someone with a 230v buzz box....and someone who knows more than me about welding. 

I can swing a maul, so count me in form pounding the sleeves.  But don't have the tool you need

Sent from my electronic tether

When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

NewRide

Never heard of that tool myself ... I have a nice 220 stick welder that would work nice on the brackets ....
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

LPM606

Its even on sale! May have to run to harbor freight...

LPM606

Nitro Axle Sleeve ordered, and I picked up the Race Bearing Driver set from Harbor Freight this week.  Once the nitro sleeves are in, I am thinking it makes sense to do the welding on the the axle at the same time we have everthing off to do the sleeves.  Tony... you have the welder for the C gussets, but do you have the time?  I know your schedule is usually feast or famine...

I also ordered a Hood Louver from Poison Spyder.  I have been looking at various louver kits for the JK to try to bring down that engine compartment temp and maybe help move some air over the new trans cooler a bit more efficiently.  The poison spyder was not my favorite from a cosmetic standpoint, but it seems to offer a good amount of venting compared to some of the other products. The hood louver install involves cutting some significant sections of the hood off with an angle grinder... should be pretty interesting.

So... Any volunteers for a WrenchFest sometime soon? Maybe next weekend before the meeting?  I'd like to get this stuff done before the Kentucky trip.  If not next weekend, Maybe the following? I can ask Mark if his Garage would be available - nice to work in the warmth and with the lift!  I think I might be brave enugh to tackle the hood louver install myself, but I need at least another set of hands to hold/manipulate the hood... (and possibly a heated garage if one is available??

NewRide

I have a 220 stick weld that makes nice sparks !! My welding skills are limited lol . When were you thinking ?
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

jeepfan1974

Ed let me know when you want to do it I will bring my mig welder over and do it for ya
Let\'s go wheeling!

LPM606

Well, the axle housing has been beefed up tremendously.  Thanks to Mark for letting me use the garage and helping take everything apart and then thanks to Paul P for doing all the welding and putting it all back together with me. we actually wound up triming the sleeves to size so they fit in with the outer axle seals I had installed on there, which meant we cut off the knurling that retained the hammer in sleeve, so we wound up drilling and plug welding anyway... Oh, well.  The race driver made it a breeze to hammer the sleeves in place.  Overall, a long day but I learned a ton and got some major improvements!  We did destroy one ball joint in the process and smashed the controller box on Mark's lift, so we didn't get away scott free on this one.  Thanks again Mark & Paul, you know I could not have done it without you guys!

Now just waiting for my Posion Spyder Hood Louver Set to arrive!