Home-grown Roof Rack

Started by Paul Hittie, December 28, 2007, 09:47:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hittie

I need a roof rack for my LJ and I am too picky to go with anything I can find in a catalogue.  I have a light-weight boat 122" long, 55" wide, 165# empty.  I want a rack to support it, but I want the rack to disaappear when I don't need it.  Here are my thoughts, please feel free to stick your $0.02 in.

1.  Full length rack from bumper to bumper, I can use the extra space for other gear, outboard motor, battery box, etc.  (probably need the rack to support min. 300#)
2.  Rear to tie to 1/4" bracket behind tail light housings w/quick clips or similar.  Simple inverted U shape, like a light bar.  Same basic design as on many commercial racks.
3.  Front to tie to either 2" front receiver or bumper-mounted towbar brackets, both of which I already have on the front of the Jeep.  T-shape (if 2" mount) or double T-shaped if tied to bumper brackets.
4. 2-4 stretchers running from front hoop to rear hoop (depending on size of tubes), quick disconnect pins to make mounting and storage easier.  

I would need some gussets at the hoop corners and where the stretchers tie into the hoops to give it better resistance to racking front/rear or side/side.  I am a wood guy - this would be fairly simple to design and build using 1x1 (or 1.25x1.25) oak and 1/4 plywood, but it would be heavy and would need a lot of weather-proofing.  Plus it would look a little silly on a Jeep.  

Any reason I can't do this out of either square or round tubing?
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

Major Mud

I made one out of 1" electrical conduit that I use 4 u-bolts to bolt it to my cage. Was planning on making a better mounting system so I don't get wet when it rains. Somewhat similar to what you are talking about, but I was going to use the winshield bracket for my front mount.

Square or round tube or even pipe could be used and made to be disconnected fairly easily. Talk sweet enough to use Harley's barn, and I can bring down my cheapo bender and we could make a wrenchfest out of it!

Anonymous

Hmmmmmmm, a chance to make sparks, and have fun?!?!?!?!

NewRide

Hey Paul can we weld it permanently to your Jeep ?? ::woot::  ::woot::   :mrgreen:
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

Paul Hittie

Quote from: "phittie1100"I want the rack to disaappear when I don't need it.  

Quote from: "Newride"Hey Paul can we weld it permanently to your Jeep ??

[Sesame Street song in the background] One of these things is not like the other....one of these things doesn't belong.... ::trout::
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

94_xj_country

this sounds like an interesting project. make a wrench fest date
support the sport - http://www.glfwda.org

Major Mud

Quote from: "Harley"Hmmmmmmm, a chance to make sparks, and have fun?!?!?!?!

That's what I'm talkin' bout'!

NewRide

Quote from: "phittie1100"
Quote from: "phittie1100"I want the rack to disaappear when I don't need it.  

Quote from: "Newride"Hey Paul can we weld it permanently to your Jeep ??

[Sesame Street song in the background] One of these things is not like the other....one of these things doesn't belong.... ::trout::

Yea .... you want it to disappear !! Lets just weld the hell out of it !!  ::poke::
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)