Clutch...

Started by TechJeeper, May 09, 2008, 08:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TechJeeper

So, how hard is it to do a clutch job??  I am in Mt. Morris at Caras house and my clutch blew out on my Jeep...  

Wrench fest?  ::poke::

Mudviper

Hardest part is pulling the trans. Once the trans is pulled it is all down hill from there. Just make sure you have an alignment tool when you put the new clutch back together. Oh while you have the clutch out, you might want to check out the pilot bearing and see if it needs replaced and don't forget to re-surface the plate

Nosilla

Not to bad Cody. 1/2 day job. Isn't that clutch pretty new? No warrenty??

NewRide

Time for a V8 ???
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

94_xj_country

Quote from: "NewRide"Time for a V8 ???

x2. buy my red truck and you can have a tj with a 460, e40d auto, bullet proof borg warner t-case, and a d60 s10.25 axle setup  ::woot::
support the sport - http://www.glfwda.org

TechJeeper

Anyone have a transmission jack I can borrow?

Mudviper

Never used a trans jack myself whenever I did my clutch, you can get away with a regular floor jack if you have one. Just need to learn how to balance...lol.

V8's are over rated ...lol.. I can do just at good with me I6 and skill  lol.

TechJeeper

Oh... great... I just relized I pry wont be able to do it (bruised ribs and a hurt arm  :cry: )... how much do shops charge?

NewRide

You don't need a shop to do this ... Let us know when you have the parts and I'm sure we can get it done for you .
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

jeepfan1974

Quote from: "Mudviper"Never used a trans jack myself whenever I did my clutch, you can get away with a regular floor jack if you have one. Just need to learn how to balance...lol.

V8's are over rated ...lol.. I can do just at good with me I6 and skill  lol.
yeah but a v8 plus the skill will get you even farther
Let\'s go wheeling!

Mudviper

V8 also could lead to more expensive repairs....lol.

94_xj_country

Quote from: "Mudviper"V8 also could lead to more expensive repairs....lol.

but if he buys my truck, he gets 1 ton axles  ::woot::
support the sport - http://www.glfwda.org

TechJeeper

lol I bought the clutch, I will pry figure out a way to get it to my house to work on it when I get free time.

TechJeeper

Another thing, I was woundering if It could just be the throwout bearing?  The clutch was replaced a year ago but I have smoked it on more than one occasion...

Nosilla

What is it doing Cody?