More ORV License Confusion

Started by LPM606, February 18, 2014, 09:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LPM606

I know at the Meeting we passed around the new ORV lisence info, and Jim said he was told specifically by the DNR that we would only need the $10 trail pass, but this is one of the bullet points that I just received in an e-mail from the DNR about the new overall lisence structure:

"An ORV trail permit will be required, in addition to the ORV license, for riding on state-designated trails, routes and scramble areas." (emphasis added) Seems to directly contradict what Jim was told...

NewRide

more money more money more money ....... just like the new license for hunting ....
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

LPM606

Its good that they are getting the more money - GLFWDA actually was working a previous bill trying to increase ORV fees, but it is just confusing how they did this two tier thing... 

Funds from the ORV permits are what gives the state the money for adding/maintaining trails.  With no permit increase in so many years, my understanding is that the fund is basically empty at this point, so the fee increase should keep us afloat...

NewRide

I understand what you are saying but its pretty simple in my mind you can't spend more then you bring in ... When I do that I get a notice of NSF LOL
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

Paul Hittie

When GLFWDA first started working with the DNR and other user groups in 2008 on this issue, there was already a target date set for the ORV Fund to be broke - late 2012.  The DNR had intentionally been spending down an accumulated surplus from previous years PLUS adding to the trail system, so they proactively started putting together a plan.  Our work group started with a list of needs/wants/desires that was going to push the price to $46 annually, which none of us wanted to go back and try to sell to our user groups.  Eventually we settled on a proposed plan for an increase to about $32, which was pretty close to the inflation-adjusted price of the old permits.  Unfortunately, as much as I favor the Republican flavor of legislators over their Democrat brethren, we couldn't get the proposed legislation out of committee because the Republicans would not support any new taxes...even though this was one we were desparately asking for as a user group.  A couple of other proposals were presented but never went anywhere.  I have no idea who came up with this new version that was approved, but that split fee thing smacks of the input of a special interest group that uses ATVs but has no interest in the trails (coughfarmlobbycough).  This bears no resemblance (other than the final price for most of us) to the proposal we helped the DNR put together back in 2009.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

LPM606

Here is the official answer:

If you have a license plate on your vehicle, and drive exclusively on ORV Route, you will not need to purchase either.  The exception to that rule is Routes on Drummond Island: Since there are sections that require 4WD you would need both the license and Trail permit.

Driving in Scramble areas like silver lake and St Helen will require both the license and permit.

Vehicles with a license plate driving on ORV Trail (ie - side by sides) will require the license and permit.  All other non-plated vehicle require both when on the trail system.

There is no situation where the $10 permit only applies. 

I let the guys at the meeting today know that we have made several inquiries about this in the last few weeks and gotten contradictory answers.  They were surprised to hear there was any confusion on the part of the Law Enforcement division so the appreciated the feedback. 

J's Jeep

I emailed the DNR division in Cadillac Monday and am still waiting for their reply to the ORV questions.