rough idle

Started by ricochet1987, October 05, 2009, 10:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricochet1987

on my yj the jeep has a ruff idle like it wants to stall then revs to 1500 rpms then settles and keeps doing it ...alot when its cold and when it warms up it does it a little ...anyone know what that could be?  ::woot::
J.E.E.P= Just Each and Every Paycheck!!!

NewRide

What size motor ??? If its a 4.2 more than likely its your carb ... they suck !!
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

Herezja

Quote from: "ricochet1987"on my yj the jeep has a ruff idle like it wants to stall then revs to 1500 rpms then settles and keeps doing it ...alot when its cold and when it warms up it does it a little ...anyone know what that could be?  ::woot::

Had the same problem with my 4.2 YJ. Usually once it warmed up, the idle would sky rocket to 2500 rpm while it was just sitting and warming up on a cold day. Usually I could hear it from the house when it cranked that high, so I would just go out and tap the gas. Just that one tap on the gas would bring the idle down to normal and it would stay at normal idle until I backed it out of the garage.

jeepfan1974

its a 92 so its injected buy some spray throttle body cleaner and clean it out use the whole can thats the cheepst place to start    if not it could be the tps sensor  oxygen sensor or the map sensor    give us the specs on this jeep
Let\'s go wheeling!

ricochet1987

alright thanks all....its the 4.0 i6 but ya it skyrockets rpms lol
J.E.E.P= Just Each and Every Paycheck!!!

dbikers

CEL or any codes?
I A C  (idle air control) would be my guess and the first thing i'd clean/replace
Be careful about reading health books.  You may die of a misprint.
             -- Mark Twain