DNR invites public review of draft 2013-2018 outdoor recreation plan

Started by Paul Hittie, October 18, 2012, 04:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LPM606

Wow! Extremely Encouraging to read this - especially heartening is Objective #3 - "Improve access to and connectivity between recreational opportinuties" they really lay out the need to add trails, connect trails, etc.  I reccomend everyone take the time to read the plan when you have some time.  It is a 58 page docuemnt but only like 26 are the actual plan - the rest is apendixes, maps, etc.  There is also an on-line survey you can complete (I have not done that part yet, so I can't say how it is) It is fairly tight window to respond to the survey, so we need to get it done within the next couple of weeks. 

gogolen

Help me out here, but I really don't see much in the document that has to do with us.   

The only mention of ORV is in the appendix C5 and C6 dealing with the economic impact of out of state ORV users.

The only mention of "motorized" is on pages 12-13 under objective #3 improve access to and connectivity between recreational opportunities. 

According to the survey ORV use didn't make the top 10 "Michigan Outdoor Recreation Activies" list.

The bullet point on page 15 was nice "Develop a trail-oriented economic development program, similar to Pennsylvania's Trail
Town ProgramĀ®,".  As this is a 334.5 Mile traffic and motorized free route from Pittsburgh to Washington DC

Out of the community converation attendees there was a county parks and rec people, metro park people, hiking club folks, ski club folks, a couple of paddlers, a couple of snowmobiliers. 

What I got out of this entire article was an outlined plan to link county and metroparks together, with very little if any concern to expand or modify the existing orv trails and routes.  In short I don't Hike, I don't ski, I haven't snowmobilied in years, I now think of snowmobiliers as prima donnas, very seldom do I ride a bicycle, in fact I kind of feel that unless you put gas in it and it makes some noise there's no sense riding it.

Paul Hittie

I don't think you missed anything.  We apparently do not hit the top 10

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

LPM606

I took the Survey finally this morning... It is only open until like Novemeber 7th.  It is fairly breif and has a last question where you can give your overall comments.  I put in my two cents about paying more attention to full size users who use the MI trail system for recreation Off-highway driving as well as the many sportsman who use the trail system to access hunting/fishing/etc. in their full size vehicle...