Very important trail ride Dec 1st. 11am. Rose City, Michigan

Started by TechJeeper, October 23, 2007, 09:14:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TechJeeper

From GL4x4

QuoteIF YOU PLAN ON GOING, PLEASE POST IN THIS THREAD: http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=64411

Date: December 1st, 2007.
Time: 11:00AM
Where? 2374 Lentz Rd. Rose City, MI 48654
Cost: $15.00 Per Vehicle.

A collective effort on the part of GL4x4 and GLFWDA has yielded a great opportunity for the Lower Michigan 4x4 enthusiasts.

Myself, Whiterhino, kb8ymf, Ironman, Skip, Tab, and Stan had the opportunity to meet with the owner of OSTC (Ogemaw Sport And Trail Center) this prior Saturday.

The owner, Dean runs a very successful quad and dirtbike facility. He used to allow dune buggies to run the trails back in the day, but he switched to only quads and dirt bikes 4-5 years ago.

OSTC consists of over 125 acres of rock hills, sand hills, winding trails, tight and twisty trails, as well as some very very very tough hill climbs consisting of mud/sand/rock.

You cannot ask for a better piece of land to start with for a 4x4 facility.

We approached Dean with a very large powerpoint presentation showing the need for a full size vehicle recreation development with MULTIPLE CHALLENGE levels. Multiple challenge levels would be the most important part. There are currently NO legal spots in Michigan (aside from the mounds) where you can do a nasty hill climb, drive over rocks, blaze your own trails, etc. Dean's property has a great BASIS for building this type of facility.

Currently the property consists of many trails, many hill climbs, rocks (scattered) and lots upon lots of winding trails.

There are a couple hills that our very heavily modifed rigs (SBC/37"+ Tires/F/R Lockers) could not physically get up. I tried climbing a very winding hill climb, only to get stopped (physically) by a large tree. The point is, it has some challenging stuff.

It also has some nice and easy sand hills, as well as some compacted rock/soil hills.

It already appeals to a large audience of 4x4 owners. And more importantly, its located in Michigan.

Here is our goal: We want to show up in force on December 1st, to show the owner that there IS a need for a 4x4 facility in Michigan, and that it would get used. If the turnout is good, we can then encourage Dean to move in tons of rocks, etc. He has already given us permission to make log climbs, and that is being handled internally via myself and GLFWDA. When we finalize this, we will be making a post for helping hands.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not call the owner and ask him to ride his trails. Because of insurance regulations, you will not be allowed to do so. We are hoping for the opportunity to have this property open to 4x4 users once every 6-8 weeks. Remember, he runs a very very busy quad/motocross facility, and because of safety reasons he does not want to have bikes/4x4's on the course at the same time.

The property is located 10 miles south of mio and 10 miles east of west branch.

Here are some photos, and hopefully the other people who helped put this together can chime in with other information. Thanks!

CLIFF NOTES:
We have a great opportunity to encourage a local business owner to build something that most travel 5-10 hours to enjoy.

OSTC's website can be found here:
http://www.ogemawtrails.com/

I am asking for the time off today,  I seen a couple of names on the list from here.  Maybe we can all meet up and convoy there.

dbikers

got the final word from the war dept....i'm going  :D
Be careful about reading health books.  You may die of a misprint.
             -- Mark Twain

TechJeeper

I got Dec 1st off today.  We need to plan to leave early, its going to be packed!

Nosilla

Hurray.

I wonder how good trailers pull in the snow.

TechJeeper

Phhh it wont snow till mid december this year... I hope :-P

and dont worry, I top out at 70 now so no rush getting there, hehe.

ouchman

im all signed up 80+ last i looked
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

COF radio http:// 216.59.4.130:8014/listen.pls  http://xat.com/chat/room/85630064/

Nosilla

I bet it ends up being 125+ total and about half that will actually show up.

Still awesome to say the least.

Paul Hittie

Jim K and Jim M figure about 60 vehicles would be the most that would keep things fun and not over crowded.  So if 1/2 of the 125 show, that's just about right.  Shows the owner "build it and they will come".
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

Nosilla

That is will. Just to bad it won't be a daily thing, rather than the once every 6-8 weeks

gh0stslay3r

I'm going to be there. Maybe I can have the chance to meet some of you guys. If you see me there come over and say hi.
2000 jeep wrangler TJ
Two tracker
Cheap Thrills

ouchman

Quote from: "gh0stslay3r"I'm going to be there. Maybe I can have the chance to meet some of you guys. If you see me there come over and say hi.
i met you at the mounds breifly, i was in the red tracker with no doors
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

COF radio http:// 216.59.4.130:8014/listen.pls  http://xat.com/chat/room/85630064/

gh0stslay3r

Quote from: "ouchman"
Quote from: "gh0stslay3r"I'm going to be there. Maybe I can have the chance to meet some of you guys. If you see me there come over and say hi.
i met you at the mounds breifly, i was in the red tracker with no doors

Yep, I remember offering to pull you up front. I had thought you broke down. Maybe this time I will get to wheel with ya some.
2000 jeep wrangler TJ
Two tracker
Cheap Thrills

longarm

I will be there checking coolers at the entrance.  No alcohol is permitted.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I do not wish for my enemies to be brought to justice, I instead would like to see justice brought to my enemies..."

Anonymous

Quote from: "longarm"I will be there checking coolers at the entrance.  No alcohol is permitted.

stocking up for the holidays???  sorry, couldn't resist :)

longarm

OMG, don't even get Chris started.............
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I do not wish for my enemies to be brought to justice, I instead would like to see justice brought to my enemies..."