Oakland County needs a nudge!

Started by Paul Hittie, September 25, 2017, 09:38:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hittie

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showpost.php?p=6293721&postcount=49

This is aimed particularly at those of you who live in Oakland County

From Jim K:

OK folks, this is where YOU can help!

There are multiple levels within Oakland County and they are very hard to decipher who does what and where the buck stops.

There are county parks employees. These are the folks like Jon Noyes (who has been our strongest advocate), Melissa Prowse (Jon's boss) and Dan Stencil (Melissa's boss).

They all report to the county parks commission, WHICH IS OUR CURRENT STUMBLING BLOCK. I have been unable to find direct contact info for any of the parks commission and many of you have been sending emails to their "contact us" link, which as you know, gets diverted to Melissa.

Without the approval of the parks commission, the county cannot and will not move forward with the ORV park. In the meantime, the MDNR is waiting for the parks commission to make a decision. Therein lies the roadblock.

Further up the chain of command is the Board of Commissioners. I have no idea what they do or how much the parks commission reports to them, but I know THAT THEY HAVE INFLUENCE OVER THE PARKS COMMISSION.

So, there are 2 different upcoming meetings that you can attend:

First, the next parks commission meeting.
I have suggested to many of you that you attend a parks commission meeting. The next meeting is scheduled for:

Start: 10/4/17, 1:00 PM
End: 10/4/17, 2:00 PM

Waterford Oaks: 2800 Watkins Lake Rd, Waterford MI 48328

You can find the link here;
https://www.oakgov.com/parks/getinvolved/Pages/Parks-Commision.aspx

I know it is difficult to attend a mid week meeting in the afternoon, but if you can find the time, it will be helpful. As I have explained in the past, you are allowed to speak at the meeting during a "public comment" time. When you arrive, you fill out a small card with your name and your wish to speak.

Note; that when you start to tell them that you have learned that the state has purchased the land for an ORV area and you are excited about it, and would like to encourage the county to move forward, they are going to tell you that it's not on today's agenda. That is your opportunity to say, I understand it's not but as a resident, we want to see this happen.

You will probably leave feeling like you did not accomplish much. But you need to UNDERSTAND that NO ONE attends these meetings, so anyone showing up to speak is non-normal.

Second, the next board of commissioners meeting.

This is the link to the board of commissioners. If you choose to contact them, click on each of their names, there is contact info.
https://www.oakgov.com/boc/Pages/contact.aspx

Their next meeting is scheduled for:
Wednesday, October 11th at 7:00 pm.
1200 North Telegraph Rd.
Pontiac

Since this meeting is being held in the evening, I am hoping to have a HUGE turnout. I have been in contact with Wicked Jeeps and they are planning to have a convoy with the hopes of a large amount of Jeeps in the parking lot.

I am also wondering if we can contact some of the local 4x4 shops and have them show up with company trailers.

Let me be clear, I have no idea if any of this will help our cause. But if we DO NOTHING, we may GET NOTHING. If we DO SOMETHING, we may GET SOMETHING. No pain, no gain.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

Ken

Thanks Paul.   I will try to make one of them.  I do not live in Oakland co though.
Ken

2014 Copper Head Jeep JK Willys Wheeler with 3 inch lift, Front E-locker, Rear Limited Slip.
Warn Wench and Bumpers. 315 tires.

Yellow TJ